1751894 Members
4977 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G3 and redundant pwr supply

kevin taco

DL360 G3 and redundant pwr supply

Hi,

New the forums...hope this question is in the correct forum.

I want to add a redundant pwr supply to our DL360 G3. I remember doing this a while ago and needing to change *some* switch on the mb in order for the box to POST.

Am I remembering this correctly or can I just insert the new pwr supply without any probs?

Thanks for your help.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G3 and redundant pwr supply

Kevin:

You should be able to just add in the new power supply, plug it in and the management agents should pick it up and report on it. I have installed hundreds of Dl380 servers and don't recall ever having to flip a switch on the mobo.

Was your experience with a DL380? or some other model/brand?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
kevin taco

I remember purchasing an redundant pwr supply for a DL360 G3. After removing the necessary components to make make room for the extra pwr supply slot, I plugged in the 2nd power supply.

The box didn't POST. I called HP support and they had me change a mb setting to enable it to work. I did and it worked.

Right now my guess is my memory is incorrect with all of this. Hey it's Friday :)

I'll give this a try now and see what happens. If you want I'll post back to this thread...
kevin taco

After plugging in the extra pwr supply, the top most light next to the power button was red and the box was dead.

Jumper 4 on switch 12 needs to be set to ON for all this to work. The diagram for this is on the underside of the boxes cover. After I made this setting the box POST'd fine.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Kevin:

Sorry, I thought you said DL380 G3, I really need to start reading things more closely.

The Dl360 is definitely a bit different in design form the Dl380 and I am not as familiar with it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This machine has three different switch banks. As you look in the machine from the front, on the left hand side you should see two different switchbanks. One will have four switches and the other will have eight. In the bank with four switches, turn switch number 4 on. This will allow you to remove the second pci riser board and install the redundant power supply. You can also see this on the top cover of the server.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..