HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360 G3 does not recognise hard drives

Tom Allan
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G3 does not recognise hard drives

I recently took two 18gb hard drives out of a new DL360 G3 machine, to replace with larger 36gb drives. After swapping them over, the server no longer recognises that is has drives attached (red lights on both drives). I have checked all cables inside the server, updated the array ROM, run the erase utility etc, however nothing has helped. I have also tried other drives including the ones I removed that were working previously.

Any ideas?
10 REPLIES
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G3 does not recognise hard drives

<< I have checked all cables inside the server >>

Did you also check the connection between drive cage backplane and motherboard ?

I've had two cases where pressing that connector with my thumb cured that problem.
Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

We had this problem on a DL380G3 and I tried what you specified to. Gave up and called HP support and a technician came and replaced the controller and after that everything worked just fine.
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

I have seen an issue if drives were currently configured in another box they would do the same thing you describe. Let's say originally they were configured as RAID 5 - and now they are RAID 1.

What I have done in the past is run the system erase - off the floppy versus the Smart Start CD. Then reconfigure and they should come up okay.
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

Whoops - just saw that you had run the system erase....

Are you able to update drive firmware? Does it see the drives in the array config?
Tom Allan
Occasional Advisor

The drives I have just put in are brand new out of the box. I have also tried updating the firmware on the array controller, and I have again checked the connection from the drives to the array.

I will try the system erase from disk rather than smartstart but if it looks like I might be calling HP today!

Thanks for your suggestions.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Tom,

The DL360 G3 only supports Ultra320 hot-plug drives. Please make sure these are U320 models (See the option part numbers below, which should be on the boxes you ordered)

DESCRIPTION
The ProLiant DL360 G3 server supports only the following hard drives:

Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drive Option Kit #
Form
Factor
18-GB Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drive (15,000 rpm) 286775-B22 1"

36-GB Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drive (10,000 rpm) 286713-B22 1"

36-GB Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drive (15,000 rpm) 286776-B22 1"

73-GB Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drive (10,000 rpm) 286714-B22 1"

73-GB Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drive (15,000 rpm) 286778-B22 1"

146-GB Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drive (10,000 rpm) 286716-B22 1"

Brian

Tom Allan
Occasional Advisor

Hi Brian,

Yes they are definately compatible drives. Also, I tried re-installing the drives that were in the server previously (and working fine), but to no avail.

Thanks.

T
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought that only the new 36Gb drives were failing. Make sure that the SCSI backplane mates properly with the system board and is fully seated (see attached diagram).

If you can't see any drives after this, then log a call with HP and get the backplane, cabling and raid controller checked out.

Peter Frazer
Frequent Advisor

This deffinately sounds like a RAID controller problem if you have already checked the connectors. If you go into the ACU, does it even recognize that you have drives installed?

Pete
Tom Allan
Occasional Advisor

The drives were not being recognised at all. I pulled the case off again and disconnected and re-connected all the cables connected to the drive casing. Now it works! Thanks for all the tips.