1748185 Members
4218 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G3 - error 1611 CPU fan failure

Geert Cuppens 2
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G3 - error 1611 CPU fan failure

've got a (out of warranty) Proliant DL360 G3 here, which refuses to boot.

A fan of the CPU assembly makes a funny noise, and I can see it rotating slower than the other 3 fans.

When booting the system stops at the error:
"1611 CPU Zone fan assembly failure detected".

I can't get in the BIOS (F9) either.

This system is out of warranty, and I have no idea how much a fan (or a fan assembly) costs.

Is there a workaround for this? (besides replacing the CPU fan assembly)
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G3 - error 1611 CPU fan failure

hi

check this

1611-CPU Zone Fan Assembly Failure Detected. Either.

Audible Beeps: None
Possible Cause: Required fans are missing or not spinning.

Action:
1. Check the fans to be sure they are installed and working.
2. Be sure the assembly is properly connected and each fan is properly seated.
3. If the problem persists, replace the failed fans.
4. If a known working replacement fan is not spinning, replace the assembly.

just in case you can also cleaning NVRAM...

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Geert Cuppens 2
Occasional Advisor

Isn't there a way to disable the check on the CPU Fan Assembly?

Replacing the complete assembly will cost me 200euros + taxes and I don't want to spend that on a server without guarantee on it.

3 of the 4 fans are working 100%, that's more than enough for a single Xeon...
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The fan sets are dual counter-rotating models so there are actually 8 fans in that processor fan assembly. It's unlikely that the primary and secondary of one fan set have failed together so check for obstructions and damaged cables etc. They can be unbolted and removed from the metal assembly.

You may also find that the I/O fans (3 sets of dual fans) on the I/O side of the chassis are the same dual fans and can be swapped. I'm not sure if a fan failure in the I/O section would be critical so it may not generate the 1611 error if an I/O fan was missing or faulty in that area.

You could possibly take the manufacturers details (make and model) from one of the fans and see if it can be purchased individually as HP don't make the actual fans.

As a last resort you might be able to solder two wiring harnesses together from one working fan pair and plug the cables into two sockets to fool the system into thinking all fans are OK but you run the risk of damaging another fan set doing this.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If it is possible to use the I/O fan as a substitute in the processor fan area, you may be able to get the I/O fan assembly cheaper if you need to buy one.

The HP Spare Part number is 307525-001.
If you look at the attached image you can see clearly that the fans are manufactured by NIDEC so again you may be able to use the NIDEC part number to obtain a fan.

Try simply removing one of the I/O fans and plugging it into the socket for the processor fan which is faulty. If it works you'll know its a good substitute. If your lucky it might just generate a non critical fan error in the I/O section which may allow the system to boot.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Geert Cuppens 2
Occasional Advisor

Taking one of the I/O Fans generates an "1611 - system fan assembly cricital failure", so that doesn't help me any further.

I got the system booted for a short time, and looked around in the BIOS, but couldn't find an option to disable the fan check.

I guess I'll have to look for a single fan indeed, because that I/O fan assembly costs 100euros + taxes + shipping.

Thanks all.