1748089 Members
5097 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G3

DL360 G3

Ok finally server 2003 R2 up and running wiht one 176 Gb scsi, 4 gigs of ram. I did updates, bios says 2005. Now I use this server for school courses only and it is in my room. Point being is that I shut this dude down when I am done. The problem is that it doesn't really shut all the way. Ergo fans slow down to quiet whine (from lear jet mode), power button turns to amber. I want this dude OFF. I have been unplugging the PSU to shut it up after powering down. I am somewhat of a server newbie but have tons of PC experience. In the bios I couldn't find any "real" power options and I do have ILO disabled in the bios....is this the problem? thanx for your help
4 REPLIES 4
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL360 G3

This is the normal behaivour the Power Button will turn to amber when the server is on standby mode, but power still applied.
If it's not fun, you're not doing it right

I realize thats what the power button is supposed to do. I guess I wasn't clear enough. I want the server to SHUT OFF when I shut down: ergo no fans running in the background, I could care less about the amber light state.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately these servers were designed for use in a computer room environment and in standby mode the power supply fans still rotate to keep them cool. Aux 5 Volts is still needed for features like Wake On Lan(WOL)and ILO access to feed the voltage to certain internal components. This is why the power supply fans keep going. It's a bit like some PC motherboards which keep a green LED on even though the PC is powered down. In this case the PSU fans are always active too.

The internal fans attached to the system board will stop completely (open the lid and check) but not the PSU fans. This is normal PSU behaviour for systems from G2 to G4. In the G5's the power supplies are designed differently but this change in design has become a big nightmare for HP at the moment because they keep failing.

Sorry but you will have to remove power to shut the system up completely.

Regards,

Brian

Thank You. My arse was getting sore from all the damn scratching. LOL Finally an answer to the mystery.