1752758 Members
4956 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G4 2-SATA drive: no boot

SThomas
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G4 2-SATA drive: no boot

I need some assistance with this issue and I already have a case in with HP that has proven of little help.

This DL360 G4 was unused and had a bad motherboard. HP warrantee required replacement by HP. With

1. Using SS8.0 x32, Windows 2003 R2 Server [each version Standard x32, Standard R2 x32, Standard R2 x64) installed fine. On restart, it briefly blinks "Detecting devices ..." and goes to a blank screen.

2. Have tried unattended installation directly, using MS Windows 2003 x32, Windows 2003 R2 x32 Server & Windows 2003 R2 Server x64 media. This is a new CD set from volume licensing.

3. Using SS7.92, installed Windows 2003 Standard R2 x64 Server. It too returns a "NTLDR is missing ... Press any key to restart"

After installation, system fails to recognize C: drive as bootable. At best, it comes back with "NTLDR is missing!"

On checking the C: drive, that installation truncated the volume to a 4698 MB FAT32 volume, when a 70911 MB NTFS volume was specified.

The Windows GUI startup to continue installation never appears, as if there is a bad graphic adapter.

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly apprecited.
10 REPLIES 10
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G4 2-SATA drive: no boot

hi

- so 2 HDDS, System Board replaced but which controller?

- if you have 2 HDDs try windows installation in only 1 at a time not both and check results(this is case 1 HDD is causing a fail in order to initiate OS)

- something else? try SS 7.9 and before windows installation use erase utility using SS 7.9 and erase all and try windows installation again

- did you check boot order

- install latest system ROM in case does not have the latest
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397638&prodNameId=3288140&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I24712

try and let us know

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
SThomas
Occasional Advisor

Hello Karlo

Yes, 2 HDDs ... I removed one HDD; erased all; and tried to load Win2003 R2 x64 servr again. On restart, message "memory address change invoked" appeared and system recognized the 1 GB memory just fine. It continues "Attempting to boot from Hard Drive (C:)", where it freezes.

Changed to second HDD only ... suspect one or both HD bad!??? Installed W2003 Standard x32 server ...

No HP SATA Optional ROM at v.1.00.A09 [2004]

Yes, I have attempted SS 7.92 ... full erase ... turned off virtual install disk

Boot order has been reset to CD ...HD ... then the rest. Tried HD first also.

... and the latest v.8.0 ROM flash is installed ... P52 7/16/2007

I have been tinkering with this critter since Friday at 1 p.m. Problem may be two bad SATA drives or incompatibility with Windows 2003 Server installation.
SThomas
Occasional Advisor

... and Karlo ... SS Diagnotics returned "Pass" on every thing in hardware.

If I had a spare SATA drive, other than Maxtor Raptop 80GB, I would certain like to test that potential incompatibility. Noted several threads related to this.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

what is the controller for the server?

did you check the boot controller order too? in there you can find your controller

what is the spare part number or product number of those HDDs?

regards
SThomas
Occasional Advisor

The HDD controller is integrated Intel 300ESB/82801FR SATA Controller. This was replace with the new motherboard.

I continued the troubleshoot throughout Saturday and into Sunday ... and realized the futility.

Randomly, the IDE CDROM drive fails to work and will not load SmartStart. The SATA drives will not permit changes to the partition using FDISK nor PARTITION MAGIC 8. Either there is a bad controller on the motherboard, or I have two bad SATA drives and a bad CDROM. I am wondering if this system has been struck by lightning.
SThomas
Occasional Advisor

The HDD controller is integrated Intel 300ESB/82801FR SATA Controller. This was replace with the new motherboard.

I continued the troubleshoot throughout Saturday and into Sunday ... and realized the futility.

Randomly, the IDE CDROM drive fails to work and will not load SmartStart. The SATA drives will not permit changes to the partition using FDISK nor PARTITION MAGIC 8. Either there is a bad controller on the motherboard, or I have two bad SATA drives and a bad CDROM. I am wondering if this system has been struck by lightning.

I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks ...
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I was thinking you had a SMART ARRAY CONTROLLER(like p600) and if you have "Intel 300ESB/82801FR SATA Controller" you can not use SmartStart CD, SS does not support Embedded SATA controller like your server has

you must load your driver manually using F6 when windows ask for 3 party drivers and load that driver using a floppy disk

with Embedded SATA controller and SS you wont be able to install your OS you have to do it the way I tell you

using one of these drivers

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397638&swItem=MTX-c9023a4c69104ba090fadd7a74&prodNameId=3288140&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

or
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=427542&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I24822&prodNameId=3288091&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=5

regards

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi again

in case those do not work you an try this one

that specifically says
"Intel(R) 82801FR SATA"

file
http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Driver/digitalhome_driver_intelahci_h663.zip

source
http://www.yournewdriver.com/Gigabyte_Intel_R_82801FR_SATA_AHCI_Controller_4762.htm

regards
Faisal Bashir
Advisor

hi,

try to install with Smart Start CD
it will solve your problem