108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G4 Array Problem?????????????????

SOLVED
Go to solution
DaveVPL
Advisor

DL360 G4 Array Problem?????????????????

Hello we have a G4 that is showing up in insight manager, the server has 2 drives in it and they are mirror drives and this is how it was built, when you looks at the array config utill, someone has messed around with the server and added array B and C they both have 2 logical drives and they are both red, because of course this server does not have the disks, I want to delete the other 2 arrays and just leave the correct one, Array A. I would like to ask this

What is the the safest way to do this?

Can I have a detailed way to Back the config up before I do this incase of problems, how do you back this up?

Attatched is the file
7 REPLIES 7
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL360 G4 Array Problem?????????????????

Dave- ouch. here is what to do...

1) get a backup asap

2) when backup is done, shut off server.

3) pull out both drives about 3 inches and turn back on.

4) when 6i posts, hit f8 and delete all the logical drives until there are none left.

5) hit F9 and go into RBSU when it posts a few seconds later.

6) go to "advanced" settings and clear NVRAM. do not do the clear NVRAM/BOOT DISK.

7) the server requests "power off" at this point. so shut it off.

8) insert both drives and power on.

9) the 6i will pick up the "master mirror config" from the 2 drives now and update logical drive count. you will see this on post. be certain to keep drives in same slot postion or all bets are off.

10) go back into RBSU and set date/time and check boot order.

11) fit F10 to save and exit.

12) install padlock on server room.

this should fx you up. thanks.
--Andy
DaveVPL
Advisor

Thank you very much, Is there a way to back up the current config incase this is deleted?

Like the array config to a floppy just to be double safe?

Many thanks

D
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

Hi Dave- the ADU report you attached tells me that the 2 146GB drives are ok, and their config (0+1)is fine. the FW levels for your 6i and hard drives are slightly behind. fix that after we get problem 1 fixed. You should update the FW with the 7.40B cd. if you need a link, just ask.

look at this cut from your ADU report. Logical drive 1 (the origibnal is fine, 2 and 3 are corrupt)

=========
Logical drive 2 status = Failed
SCSI Port 1, drive ID 2 failed - REPLACE
SCSI Port 2, drive ID 0 failed - REPLACE
Logical drive 3 status = Failed
SCSI Port 1, drive ID 3 failed - REPLACE
SCSI Port 2, drive ID 1 failed - REPLACE
Error occurred reading RIS copy from SCSI Port 1 Drive ID 2
Error occurred reading RIS copy from SCSI Port 1 Drive ID 3)
===========================
shame shame Dave :-) you should be at 2.58A
Recovery ROM Inactive
Image Revision: 2.36
===================================

Logical Drive 1:
Drive Status: OK
Blocks to Rebuild: 0

===================================

the config is kept on the embbeded controller of the hard drives and the array controller. so if one is corrupt, you can resort to the other. Plus there is a "recovery ROM" built into system board where a flashable "snapshot" config is kept. the config on the 6i is corrupt. however it appears the config on the drives are fine. this is why I say in step 9 pop the drives out a few inches so you can clear the array controller in ORCA without wiping the config of the drives too. when you repopulate the drive slots and power on the the server the 6i willacccpet the new config and God willing, update the logical drive count to 1.

does that clear the air any?

thanks!
--Andy

PS. you never said what OS you are using, I'll assume a Microsoft based system.
DaveVPL
Advisor

yes look at this it looks nice, I have attatched another.

your help has been good thank you.....

Someone has said just try deleting it through the sofware?????

Andy_180
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Thank me with points.

follow my steps, it should pull through just fine. to make a long story short, the array controller is thinking there are other drives out there. since the ACU can not connect to them it auto marks them as bad. that is why the array controller config needs wiped. dont worry, it will find the mirror again once you reinsert the 2 drives and "auto update logical drive count".
Thanks Dave!
--Andy
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Dave,
Although Andy way will work too,
I think you can just delete Array B and Array C from ACU. You even don't need to do reboot.
Also, as Andy say, upgrade your SmartArray firmware to 2.58 version
Use
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23686.html
(Firmware Maintenance CD 7.40 contains previous version)
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

Dave- Igor's way would be quicker. but quicker not always better. especially when it is best engineering practice to restart with clean slate when array has multiple false failures. if a single false failure, Igors way would be ok. but you have multiples. in this case best just to clear the whole 6i config and start fresh. you will still need the FW CD to update hard disk embedded controllers. below you will find link to zipped iso image to current bootable FW CD. the ADU report you send says hard disk embedded controller's FW is 2 revs behind. installed ones now have HPB6. current release for BD14685A26 drives is version HPB8a.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24048.html

thank you dave.

--Andy