New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G4 SATA

SOLVED
Go to solution
Johnny Evans
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G4 SATA

Hello,

I have been banging my head against a brick wall for the last 24 hours and wonder if anyone can assist.

I have a DL360 G4 (SATA) (368150-001) with a PCI embedded Intel 6300ESB/82801FR SATA Controller in it. I am trying to build Windows 2003 on it. This doesnt need any raid capabilties, its just a test box.

I can see the SATA drive n POST, Maxtor Calypso on port 0, but when trying to install W3K it says it cannot find the hard drive to install it on. Which i think, therefore means i need the third party driver and i need to press f6 on the initial install screen, but is it the driver for the SATA controller or the driver the backplane that is causing windows not to find the disk. Either way i cannot find an appropriate driver.

I can find the Embedded SATA controller driver for the ML150 G2 (see link below) but not for the DL360 G4. I have attempted to load the ML150 G2 driver but this is an adaptec driver and windows still doesnt find a drive to load the OS on.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&mode=3&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I22734

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
9 REPLIES 9
Johnny Evans
Occasional Advisor

Hi A d r i c,

Thanks for the reply

The intel 6300ESB that is on the motherboard is not raid capable, especially not smart array. Looking at the hpcissx file when extracting the .exe file, it only lists B400I, P800, P600, P400, P400I, E500, E200, E200I & SDK Test Board (not sure what this last one is). I have attempted to load the driver during install, which it loads fine, but still doesnt see any hard disk to load the OS to. I am not using a Smart Array and the above link is for "Windows Driver for Smart Array sas/sata controllers".

Many thanks for your suggestion but still cant see any hard drive to install to.

Johnny Evans
Occasional Advisor

Hello

I maybe forgetting a few fundementals here. I have loaded Smart Start 7.40. From there i have ran insight diagnostics. I cannot see the SATA drive in Insight Diags. I can only see my floppy and CD. I am fairly new to SATA technology but familiar with SCSI. I would expect to see the SATA drive in Insight Diags within Storage.

If this is a hardware problem with the disk, then why do i see Maxtor Calypso on POST. If it is therefore the spindle that is broke and not the controller part of teh disk, why doesnt Insight Diags say it can see the controller like it does on POST.

Any suggestions or if someone knows how i should see the SATA drive in Insights Diags, it would be most appreciated. Smart Start 7.40 is after SATA technology so the drivers to see the basic raw drive must be on there? surely?

Cheers and thank you in advance
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

With some help from Intel, I understand that Intel 6300ESB/82801FR SATA controller is capable of RAID.

I am also thinking that you may need the drivers for the controller from the Intel web site. Intel has a how-to for installing the operating system at:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-021736.htm

As Happy Dude suggested you may have better success detecting the hard drive in the diagnostics from the Smartstart CD if you use v7.40 or higher.

Hope this helps!
dgb
Advisor

can anyone expand on how the intel 6300esb/82801fr could be used a RAID-0/1 controller.

i've used the smart start 7.91 cd and i'm able to see both hdd's. although when i enter the array configuration utility the controller is not found.

i'm assuming if the 6300esb/82801fr is RAID capable the array may have to be created via an intel utility..

maybe someone can chime in on this one..
Johnny Evans
Occasional Advisor

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your suggests, annual leave and too much work led to me putting this on the back-burner.

I have downloaded Smart Start 7.91 and gone to Insight Diags and still cannot see the SATA drive. I can only see my floppy and cd still. Because i cannot even see the drive here in the latest Insights Diags i am guessing i have a faulty SATA drive? I guess it could be the 6300ESB/82801FR SATA Controller but this is seen in smart start but clearly i cannot configure it as its not a Smart Array so i will get the drive replaced and report back.

Cheers and i wont forget to assign points at the end...

Johnny Evans
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all your suggestions. I ordered another 250gb SATA drive and this was seen differently on POST, this time it said Hard Drive MAXTOR 7Y250M0 and i can see the drive in Insight Diags. I am currently formatting the drive to ntfs and even Windows Server 2000 can see it without any additional third party drivers. The end result - a faulty SATA hard drive.

Johnny Evans
Occasional Advisor

closed.