ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360 G4 W2K3 Smart Array 6i unable to set Write cache with BWCC installed !

Reiner Vossmann
Occasional Contributor

DL360 G4 W2K3 Smart Array 6i unable to set Write cache with BWCC installed !

Can anybody help me with following issue ? We use about 20 Terminal Servers witch are all DL360G4 with Smart Array 6i.

For testing issues i´ve installed a BWCC Card in one of them. The Reason was that i would like to enable Disk write Caching in W2K3 SP1 in the Policy of the Drive in Device Manager. I´m not able to set this Feature ! I thought, that it should be possible after installing thw BWCC Card, but it´s not. Are there other/better way´s for Performance monitoring / meassuring than Perfmon ? I would like to be able to say things like "With installed BWCC we can Handle 5 More Users on a Terminal Server"

OS and Pagefile are both on one logical Partition on one Raid 1 Array.

Any Ideas / Suggestions ?
thanks Reiner
3 REPLIES
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G4 W2K3 Smart Array 6i unable to set Write cache with BWCC installed !

Reiner,
Disk write caching in device manager is not right place !

You need to change read/write cache ratio with HP array configuration utility.

see attached picture
Reiner Vossmann
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL360 G4 W2K3 Smart Array 6i unable to set Write cache with BWCC installed !

Thanks Igor for your Response,
I´ve set this to 50%/50% (that shows me, that BWCC is correctly detected), but i would like to tell windows, that it doesn´t has to wait for the RAID Controller. I found a Thread that say´s the average Response time will go down from 15/20 ms to 2ms per IO.
In my TS Enviroment i don´t want to wait for Harddrive ore Controller to say "OK, It´s all written to Disk". That realy makes no sense to me in Terminal Servers.

Reiner
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Reiner,
Ok, now I better understand your question.

I am not 100 % sure, but IMHO:
The Windows 2003 disk cache setting work only for direct connected disk drives (e.g. SCSI drives without RAID controller).
I think SmartArray doesn't allow Windows 2003 disk cache setting from windows,
you can set it only with ACU.
It's really two different things, shortly: logical disk doesn't support drive caching.