Is there any support for PCI modem on DL360 G4 or G4p Servers with Windows 2003
8 REPLIES 8
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G4 and PCI Modem

NO !
davidr_3

I realize that HP would not probably support this, but has anyone been successful with putting a modem on a DL360 G4 with Win 2003
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

I dont think so David.
Specially when I know DL360 "G4" is meant for High performance & speed.

May I know the reason why you intend to use a MODEM for this particular server ?

Regards,
James.
davidr_3

I am a partner and a customer of mine needs to be able to allow communication through modem communications through this server. Dont ask me why, but that is what I have been asked.
HP_Sammy
Trusted Contributor

Hey David u can try ur luck with this

http://www.superwarehouse.com/HP_Agere_High_Speed_56K_PCI_Soft_Modem_for_ProLiant_Servers/440519-B21/p/1498435

BUT HP DOESNT SUPPORT THIS AS ITS NOT TESTED BY THEM AND ITS NOT IN OPTION PART LIST

So try it at ur own risk

But it think should work ur decison

Cheers :)
e4services
Honored Contributor

Have you though of a simple external modem? Shouldn't bother the server at all since it is simple COM communications
Hot Swap Hard Drives
e4services
Honored Contributor

To expand on this, the PCI internal modems these days are "Soft" modems and require software modem drivers. We have run into this before with our servers, having trouble getting them installed and seamless operation with softwares.
Go with an external. We had been using Diamond SupaExpress 56K modem on a COM port. Unless you can find a true "hard" modem card still, but they are quite rare and most likely not available for PCIe
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Take a look at Comtrol's cards.

http://www.comtrol.com

Their RocketModem IV is a PCI-X card, which should work in the DL360 G4. They're by no means the cheapest cards on the market, but they're very reliable.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob