ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753868 Members
7249 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G4 won't boot after memory upgrade

DL360 G4 won't boot after memory upgrade

After replacing the standard 1GB RAM in slot 1A with two 2GB modules in slots 1A and 2A the server won't boot.

The modules are original HP PC2700 DDR, 333 MHz, ECC, REG. The only difference with the 1GB module is the CL timing which is 2 on the new memory and 2.5 on the old module.

The fans run at full speed, all front panel LEDS are green, no internal error leds are lit but there is no video and no keyboard response.

I've flashed the BIOS with the most recent version, cleared NVRAM, waited 2 hours to give the memory test time to run, used both modules on their own in slot 1A, all to no avail.

With the 1 GB module installed there's no problem.

Any ideas?
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before
17 REPLIES 17
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

use PC2-3200R 400MHz DDR2 as
Front-Side Bus
800-MHz Front Side Bus
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

KOV, DL360 G4 uses PC2700 memory.
DL360 G3p uses PC3200.
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Sorry, DL360 G4p uses PC3200.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Possibly , I'm not denying , just an option to try or modules that Paul have is DOA

Paul what old Part Number you have it's also 2700 ?

The 1GB module that works has (almost)the same specs on the label i.e. PC2700R DDR 333 CL2.5 ECC REG. The only difference is that the new 2GB modules are CL2 and the old 1GB module is CL2.5. I can't imagine the faster CL timing is the problem.
I forgot to mention that this is the second set of memory we tried. The first set we got from the supplier had the same problem and they swapped it.
Thomas Kolanko
Occasional Advisor

Hi Paul,

Can you please post the part numbers off of the HP logo on those sticks of memory

Thanks

Hi Thomas,

The HP part number on the new modules is 331563-041 (to be replaced with spare part# 370782-001)

They are made by Infineon with numbers HYS72D256520GR-6-A and B2W30616442.
Other info from the labels: 256x72 SDRAM PC2700R-20330-N

Paul
Thomas Kolanko
Occasional Advisor

Hi Paul,

Can you please double check those part numbers. When I put that spare part number into partsurfer.hp.com it comes up as being a drive cage.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partinfo&template=main&cpric=us&psrchmode=&partsrch=370782-001&submit.x=6&submit.y=7

You can input any spare part number into http://partsurfer.hp.com and get a list of the servers that the part number is used with. Good way to check compatiblity quickly.

Regards,
Tom
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Paul,

I also checked the assembly number you listed 331563-041 and it is not listed as an "HP" spare part. Alot of companies sell "HP" compatible memory, but often problems like this arise because it is not compatible. If it is branded HP/Compaq, then it shoulod be fine and the list i'm looking at may not have that memory on it yet.

The part number for the memory you need is:
367167-001 - 1 GB - (DL360G4)

Hope this helps

Chris

Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright