ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753421 Members
4920 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G4 won't boot after memory upgrade

The part number 331563-041 and spare part# 370782-001 are correct.
I've attached a scan of both labels

The modules were ordered as 358349-B21 (2048 MB of Advanced ECC PC2700 DDR SDRAM DIMM Memory Kit (1 x 2 GB)) as shown in de DL360 G4 spec sheet.

I can't believe we got some faked RAM modules.
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before
Thomas Kolanko
Occasional Advisor

Hi Paul,

For a 2gb dimm the correct HP part number is 331563-051 which you can see is very close to yours, however, the correct spare part number is 367553-001

If we look here on partsurfer: http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=partinfo&template=main&cpric=&psrchmode=&partsrch=367553-001&submit.x=5&submit.y=6

you can see its the part number of a 2gb dimm for a DL360 G4.

Did you buy the memory direct from HP or from a reseller or a third part company? Either way I would send it back and order from either Hp directly or an authorized reseller

Tom
Thomas Kolanko
Occasional Advisor

Heres an HP advisory on faked memory:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0112W

The logos on your dimm look the same too me as in the advisory. Not too sure what to say here, other than return it for a refund and try again
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Paul,

The part number 370782-001 does come up as a Drive Cage for an ML350 G4. So either the part number on the memory is incorrect or it could be a "fake" DIMM. The part number you ordered 358349-B21 is the correct part number that you should have ordered. The assembly number 331563-041 does not pull up, but I was talking with Thomas and he said if we change the 041 to 051 it pulls up the correct memory. So this would again indicate a mistake, or possibly "fake" memory. This is also very odd that this has happened with 2 different pairs.

Something that might trigger me to think it was a fake DIMM would be the cost. I took a quick look on google and pulled up some prices in the range of $1000 for 358349-B21. The "Highest" price I could find from Kingston was $609.

I might suggest asking your reseller where he's ordering these parts from and to have them verify they are HP branded DIMMS. I'm not saying they are fake DIMMS, but since none of the part numbers pull up, it's very interesting.

Also, Do you have a DIMM that you know is HP that you could compare the HP logo with? I'm curious if the logo is identical or if one is glossy etc. This could also indicate a "faked" DIMM.

Chris

Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright

Hi Chris

The ink next to the HP logo on the label looks a bit dodgy to me. It should shift in color form blue to bronze but all I can see is very little change from blue to purple/red.
I'll pull an original HP module from another server to compare.

Paul

I've looked at some 512MB PC3200 modules from a DL360 G4p and the security ink looks different. On the left side of the HP logo it's green and on the right side it looks the same as the ink on the 2GB modules.

It looks like I've used the wrong procedure to check te ink colors. After reading the "Is It the HP Way" web page again it's clear that you must look at a very oblique angle to see the full color change. When I do that the color shifts from blue through purple and red to bronze/gold, so it looks like at least the ink is original :-)

I'll get back to the supplier to see what they have to say

Problem solved!

After contacting the supplier they sent an engineer and he came to the same conclusion as I did: the memory didn't work :-).

Another pair of modules (with the same markings) he brought with him didn't work either so he logged a call to HP.

This resulted in a visit form an enigneer from HP who came again to the same conclusion and after checking with an expert at the office they decided it was counterfeit memory.

Last week our supplier sent different type of memory modules (P/N 331563-051 and this time with a HP seal on the plastic container and a HP leaflet inside) and after installing them this morning everything is OK.

It seems that even reputable suppliers can get caught out.

Counterfeit memory replaced by supplier.
Caveat Emptor!