5704 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360 G5 BIOS corrupt. Need help

Rocker_Man
Occasional Visitor

DL360 G5 BIOS corrupt. Need help

Hi

BIOS was damaged when installing the Service Pack. The server will not boot, black screen, the keyboard does not respond, the lights are green, the fans are working. Cleaning CMOS through Sw1 (S6 = On) did not help. How can I force the server to boot from the dvd drive to run ROMPaq?

Valery

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Some work arounds:

Remove any Add-On cards if installed.

Remove additional RAM.

Test the server for POST, if problem still there.

Remove the Coin Battery for few min then try to POST.

If none of the things work, I guess its system board issue.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Rocker_Man
Occasional Visitor

Hi, Suman_AN

order:

---

Remove any Add-On cards if installed.

did - not help  

Remove additional RAM.

did - not help  

Remove the Coin Battery for few min then try to POST.

did (~30 min) - not help  

If none of the things work, I guess its system board issue.

In some models of HP laptops have a special key combination (Win-B, Fn-Esc etc.), with which you can boot from a USB flash device and recover BIOS. On server platforms there are not  special key combination?

Valery

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Activate the redundant ROM and check if the server is able to complete POST and attempts to boot. To do so, the following steps may be performed:

i. Power down the server and remove the access panel.

ii. Please refer to item 1 of the System board components diagram, on page 75 of 91 of the server’s maintenance and service guide to identify the system maintenance switch. The guide is locatable at the following link:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710376/c00710376.pdf

iii. Locate individual switch S1, S5 and S6, and set it from the default position of ‘Off’ to ‘On’. Replace the access panel and power it on. Wait till the message indicates that the server has been reset. Then power off the server, remove the power cable from the wall jack, and remove the access panel, revert switchs S1, S5 and S6 to position back to ‘Off’ and then power it on.

If the issue is resolved, then connect a bootable USB key containing the latest version of BIOS from the following link to the server and cycle power:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121486&swItem=MTX-5828ebf8fa164f11b5c69b1848&prodNameId=3288144&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=1

If the issue is still not resolved, then the system board may require replacement

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Rocker_Man
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Locate individual switch S1, S5 and S6, and set it from the default position of ‘Off’ to ‘On’ -

I have done these steps yesterday, did not help

Connect a bootable USB key containing the latest version of BIOS from the following link to the server and cycle power -

Tried to do in the beginning, even before the issue here. Did bootable CD and USB flash drive, did not work, can not boot from them.

Suman_AN, Vijayasarathy, thank you very much for your help and support, unfortunately it seems the BIOS is corrupted. Let us change the system board.

Best Regards,

Valery