108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G5 P400i Raid 5 SLOW

SOLVED
Go to solution
hongman
Advisor

Like I said, I'll have to arrange for downtime to do this as Im not on site everyday.

However, the server that is running fine also has that error message about parity queue and its running fine?

The array's were migrated nearly 2 weeks ago now. that is plenty of time for it to rebuild completely right?

Anyways, I guess I need to get some more downtime in to do some offline tests.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

go in to acu and click on status messages
and all should be clear,,

goodluck :)
TTr
Honored Contributor

Have you rebooted the servers since you added the drives / did the raid migration? Try rebooting them first without messing around with the battery. Maybe when they are offline or start up without any i/o load the rebuild will complete and the inconsistencies will clear up. If not then you consider doing the battery removal process as suggested above.
hongman
Advisor

The servers have both been rebooted 2-3 times each since the migration completed.

Further frustration, now the backups are taking 14 hours from the usual 1hr 45 mins :( According to the logs as soon as it hits the bad server the rate drops to 63.5MB/s from 8-900 MB/s. Sigh.

I'll try get round to ripping the battery out this weekend!
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

looks like the only viable option atm goodluck
hongman
Advisor

Is it possible to rebuild the array parity without data loss?
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

first ensure you have a tape backup , have you looked and acu what does it say about status

now you can do the battery thing like i mentioned earlier post

hongman
Advisor

Hi

I am onsite right now.

I powered down the system and took the cover off. I removed the air baffles, and I can see the P400 card but not the battery...

I disconnected all 3 cables (2 that lead to the hard drive cages and another one in the front of the P400 card) - I hope this acheives the same thing as removing the battery? I took the whole card out for a few mins and then reinstalled it all.

Right now running a Smart Start Diagnostics test.
hongman
Advisor

Well, it seems no difference in terms of speed. The only thing that changed is that the Background parity queue message is no longer there.

Still taking over 20 mins to boot :/

While running the Smart Start CD diagnostics I noticed that the new disk took significantly longer to run the tests than the original 2 disks, I wonder if this could indicate something faulty?
hongman
Advisor

Something else I just noticed as well is that on the good server, all 3 disks activity LED's flash in sync.

On the "bad" server, the new disk often flashes out of sync with the other 2 original disks - does this indicate anything?