5742 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360 G5 RAID

sbadmin
Occasional Visitor

DL360 G5 RAID

Hi guys,

I have a DL360 G5 with 6 disks. in a RAID1 configuration.

I have a used disk that is not currently in the server but contains data that I need to retrieve.
Please can someone advise the best way of getting this data from the disk? I would put it into the server to retrieve, however this will start off an automatic rebuild, which will lose the data. Is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

With the system full of disks there is not a way to add an additional drive.  Is the "used" disk bootable?  You could shutdown, pull out all current drives and boot the "used" disk.  Copy data over network or to USB or DVD media. 

Besides being bootable, was the "used" disk configured in a previous array? that would be a requirement to attach it to a Smart Array controller

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
sbadmin
Occasional Visitor

The disk is not bootable, it was just a data disk. It was part of a RAID1 array beforehand.

I can free up 2 bays in the server to plug this in. I'm just worried that it will rebuild/format upon placing it back in a slot.

Can you clarify?

Thanks.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It shouldn't mess with an existing array, and should enter a failed state since the rest of the array is missing. To be safe, I'd load an OS on a different drive and then try to access this one without your working array being touched.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!