1748139 Members
4056 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G5 - SAS fails to boot

noonc

DL360 G5 - SAS fails to boot

Hello,

this morning I rebooted this server - it was working just fine before - in order to deploy upgrades and enable iLO via local setup. The machine started booting fine, got to where the smart array controller 400p checks for arrays, found the configured one, displayed "F8 or ESC", and stop. From here on in nothing happens. Waited 10 minutes from that point after multiple attempts, nothing.

Port 1-4 is configured as RAID10 while 5-8 host currently unused/unconfigured spares. I removed all HDDs and the machine gets further trying PXE. Then again, any HDD connected to the SAS in any port will render the machine unbootable. Even tried to boot from HDDs taken from another spare, no go.

I put the 4 HDDs for the system in another machine and they work just fine, so we failed gracefully. Still, I would like to get the original setup working again soon.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
noonc

I'm sorry, got the model number wrong. This is about a DL380 G5. Apologies.
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

try firmware maintanance CD 8.50 without the drives first, upgrade all the firmware.

Then run the CD again with the drives in, upgrade any disk firmware.
noonc

I will try this when I get to the datacenter, which will happen asap. Thanks for the quick reply for now.
noonc

After an enormous delay, I got to the datacenter again today and was able to update the firmware using firmware maintenence cd 8.50. It completed updating without complaining (except for the fact I needed to use the mouse and the cursor was awfully slow and stuttering). On the next boot I was able to enter the SAS configuration menu and create a fresh array. Yet another boot the machine started showing the same sympthoms again. No disks, boots. Any disk inserted, doesn't boot and just hangs.