5678 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G5 SAS to SATA Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ronald_L

DL360 G5 SAS to SATA Drives

I currently have a DL360G5 with SAS drives. Can SATA drive replace the SAS drives?
4 REPLIES 4
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi Ronald
The difference between SAS and SATA as follows,

Serial Attached SCSI (SAS)
Abbreviated as SAS, Serial Attached SCSI, an evolution of parallel SCSI into a point-to-point serial peripheral interface in which controllers are linked directly to disk drives. SAS is a performance improvement over traditional SCSI because SAS enables multiple devices (up to 128) of different sizes and types to be connected simultaneously with thinner and longer cables; its full-duplex signal transmission supports 3.0Gb/s. In addition, SAS drives can be hot-plugged.

Serial ATA (SATA)
Often abbreviated as SATA, Serial ATA is an evolution of the Parallel ATA physical storage interface. Serial ATA is a serial link ├в a single cable with a minimum of four wires creates a point-to-point connection between devices. Transfer rates for Serial ATA begin at 150MB/s.
Starting with SATA, it extends the capabilities of ATA and offers transfer rates starting at 150MB/s and, after years of development, has moved to the mainstream of disk interfaces. The successor the SCSI interface is SAS at speeds of up to 3Gb/s. Additionally, it also addresses parallel interface issues such as drive addressability and limitations on the number of device per port connection.

SAS devices can communicate with both SATA and SCSI devices (the backplanes of SAS devices are identical to SATA devices). A key difference between SCSI and SAS devices is the addition in SAS devices of two data ports, each of which resides in a different SAS domain. This enables complete failover redundancy. If one path fails, there is still communication along a separate and independent path.

SAS drive can not be replaced by SATA drive.

Rgds//
Taifur

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

why not?

yes you can replace the HDDs
if your SAS HDDs are not big enough.

I think you have an e200 or p400 controller in that server or any similar smart array controller if so

yes you can backup your data, replace with SATA HDDs and restore data to your new HDDs

like I said before smart array controller support both SAS and SATA so you can do what you want to do

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

oh I forgot the backplane for this server is prepare to handle both types of HDDs so you don't need to replace any part
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

now I see the biggest SAS HDD is 300GB and SATA is 250 maybe you just want to replace them since they are cheaper anyway you can do it