1748124 Members
3094 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G5 Won't boot from a CD listed as #1 in IPL

Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

DL360 G5 Won't boot from a CD listed as #1 in IPL

My DL360 G5 5130 won't boot from either smart start or the firmware updater disk. RBSU lists it as #1 IPL device. Known good CD. Then I went, 'aha,' and said to myself, there must be an incompatibility between the DVD drive and hardware. So I tried an older CD-ROM (like G2 vintage). No luck.

Why would the CD device show as #1, but not allow a boot?

I tried to switch the boot controller to IDE from P400 SCSI, but it simply wouldn't take the change. Not possible.
15 REPLIES 15
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

it's not booting from a Windows CD?

you can use this
HP USB Key Utility for Windows

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-cdf9fdaff8f74da8b3459dd24d

to use a USB key to run SSCD or Firmware CD

do you have ilo configured?

have you tried cleaning NVRAM?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

hi,

odd behavior, try minimal configuration on the server, (1 proc, 2 dimms, only 1 P400 in the PCI riser cage) and try again, it may be a conflict with the HW

regards,
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, guys. I guess I can take the NC360T card in the riser board out.

When you say, clear out NVRAM, I would do that from the RBSU 'Reset Default System Settings?' Or is there a separate place?

I can erase the system once I get smart start running off the USB key; hopefully that will allow me to use the Windows Sever 2003 CD.

Does the utility demand a blank USB key? Or can there be other stuff on the key?
Xteven
Advisor

There are 2 places were you can clear the NVRAM
1-IN teh RBSU under Advance Options-> Erase Non-volatile Memory.
2-Manually, open the cover of the server and in the back of the cover check for the system maintenance switch, locate that nip switch in the system boards, turn Off the server, turn ON S6, Turn on the server for about 5 seconds, turn the server off again and put S6 to its original position.

and also you will need a blank USB key because the program is going to formate the key to make it bootable!

x-teven
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

I followed your advice to toggle the #6 switch. I was rewarded with the mesasge, on boot, that the boot order had been returned to the default. However, I also got a new message. FF301, keyboard error. I tried four different PS/2 connector keyboards before having some success with a USB keyboard.

Anyway, no change. Wait! There was a change. The onboard NC373i's disappeared from the list of IPL devices.

I will use the USB key utility just to see if loading new firmware will make a difference, but I don't know how I can run Smart Start from a USB key if I can't get the OS loaded, as well, from a USB key. Will SmartStart, running off USB, be able to pause while I swap out the Smart Start USB and put in the Windows Server 2003 USB? I would not presume it will. My only hope is tht the firmware update will shake something loose.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

" I swap out the Smart Start USB and put in the Windows Server 2003 USB?"

windows 2003 from a USB key? I think is not possible I know W2008 yes but not W2003

you have to use you USB key with smartstart and insert a CDROM or USB CDROM

regards
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Aha! You can, Karlo, swap out one for the other. All you have to do is check the box that says the OS will come from a USB key instead of CD. Just too damn bad I had to read the readme that came with the USB Key Utility to learn this :) At any rate, the server is up under Windows 2003 Server standard edition. Now that I have a network connection life is good, again. Just have to hang a sign on it that says, optical drive doesn't work.

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

so

at the end you created a windows 2003 usb key bootable using this "HP USB Key Utility for Windows "

or you were able to use smartstart CD and select USB option?

i don't understand the last part (little silly lately)

regards
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Hey.. humm sorry I don't know how to call you. But here is the question. Did the CDROM come with the server or is just a piece of HW you took from another machine? If its the one that came with the server then Multibay media backplane 412202-001 could be damaged. Try getting another CDROM from another server with the same connector and if it fails to recognize a CD then go ahead and request that part to be replaced.

Thanks,

\RaMpaNTe

BTW... don't forget to assign points.
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!