1751789 Members
4815 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G5 Won't boot from a CD listed as #1 in IPL

Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Rampante: The server came with a slimline DVD. I did insert a compatible (seemingly so) slimline CD and I couldn't get the server to boot off of that either, so it could be a problem with the part number you mentioned.

Karlo: I booted off the USB key I'd loaded with Smart Start. Then I selected 'USB Key' as the source I'd like to draw the OS from by check the 'USB Key' check box. It prompted for the key with the OS and the rest was history.
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

If you want I can verify whether the CDROM that came with the server is compatible or not. Please reply with the CR ROM part number so that I can check that for you.
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
Millertime_1
Occasional Advisor

I've been having the same issue with one of my DL360 G5's. Tried, without success, replacing the drive from HP with a new one. [Replacement: DVD-ROM, P/N 1977098R-57, HP P/N: 294766-904].

Have to boot with a USB attached external DVD-ROM to get it working. Patched the server to the latest code and still a no go.

The server is brand new so let me know about the drive compatibility and if it is I will get this other piece replaced under warranty!

Thanks..
Millertime_1
Occasional Advisor

A little update on this one, I tried another drive and multibay connector (the little board with the pins to adapt the connector) from a working DL360G5 (one that actually boots Windows Server 2003 CDs)and put it in the "problem" server. Still a no go and further I took the other set (DVD-ROM and multibay connector) over to the "good" server and it booted windows cd just fine. This MUST be some kind of BIOS/Firmware issue, I even took out the 400i controller on the "problem" server and still a no go.

The BIOS info vitals from the "good" and "problem" DL360G5 is as follows:
"good"
PID: 416565-01
BIOS: P58 06/28/2007
PROC1: Intel 3.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
PROC2: NONE

"problem":
PID: 416565-01
BIOS: P58 11/02/2008 (Supposedly fixes an IPL bypass problem)
PROC1: Intel 3.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache
PROC2: NONE

Shazamm... How can I back-rev everything to the age of the "good" server and test this theory?

Given I'm installing VMWARE VI3 it would be really nice for this "supported" server to actually have a drive that I can use in my VMs. USB is a no go..

NeilC

I've got the same problem now on a DL 360 G5, since doing Firmware/BIOS updates. I will try to roll back the BIOS version once I get back onto site and can get a bootable CD in there. The current active BIOS version is 2008.11.02 and the machine fails with this. This definately worked before I applied all the patches.
Millertime_1
Occasional Advisor

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a solution.. A certified HP technician arrived to have a look at my server and was initially just as baffled. He replaced the main motherboard and everything works perfectly now!