1751972 Members
5291 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G5 serial port

J Van Hoecke

DL360 G5 serial port

I'm unable to get a modem hooked up to the serial port of the DL360G5 running in linux. As indicated in the following advisory (http://www8.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en&docId=emr_na-c01139344-2), I have disabled the remote access through the serial port from iLO. I also disabled the BIOS Serial Console Port (Select BIOS Serial Console & EMS, then select BIOS Serial Console Port, and then select Disabled).

The serial port gets correctly identified in Linux as ttyS1 but I cannot get a response from the modem. I already attached the same modem to an exact copy of the OS but on a non-HP server and it worked without a problem. I also tried with another modem but the issue remains the same.

Does anyone know what else I can try to get the serial port working?

Thanks,

Joost
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G5 serial port

Hi Joost,

It's usually the CLI which causes this. I noticed that it was the first thing to change in the link you provided.

Can you check that the CLI is definitely disabled on your system by entering the ILO (F8)- Settings - CLI Status = Disabled.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Joost,

I forgot to add the most important part about the changes.

You MUST remove power from the power supply for about 10 seconds after making the changes. The AUX 5V is always present for ILO and Wake on LAN (WOL) for the network card. It's only when you remove power completely that this voltage disappears and the ILO can reset properly.

Regards,

Brian
J Van Hoecke

Hi Brian,

Today I powered down the server and unplugged the 2 power cords. I waited 15 seconds and plugged them back in. I then pushed the power button. The button became green but no video signal, no hard disk lights, no fans blowing....

I can still access the ILO website but it shows the server is still in "Standby(off)" although the front light is green.

Any idea what causes this? I think there are some hardware issues ...

Joost
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Joost,

Can you power the server back on using the "Virtual Power" button in the ILO?

It sounds like something else has gone wrong since removing power cables should not cause any problems with the server.

Regards,

Brian