1752815 Members
5885 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G5 system health LED

GeoffHH
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G5 system health LED

Hi, I've got a DL360 G5 with 2.5GB RAM (2x1GB + 2x256MB RAM). It's running Windows 2003 SP1.

What does it mean when the LED on the front (the squiggly line inside the box) lights up? How can I diagnose the problem?

Any help appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Prabhulj
Valued Contributor

Re: DL360 G5 system health LED

Hi,

Please refer to the Maintenance and Service Guide.

Link : http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121486#1

Page No:72

Regards,
Prabhu
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

open the server and check which LED on the motherboard is on.
Then check what does ths component means.

If it is memory related, please write your memory configuration(which dimms in which slots) and the kit product numbers if possible
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Geoff,
The squiggly line inside the box(wonderfully expressed BTW)... is known as the INTERNAL HEALTH LED.

Once that lights up, it would mean, as the name suggests, something inside the server is malfunctioning. It could be anything from a cable to the processor.
Best way is to look for any amber leds on the system board. If there are none, UNDO the RECENT changes made. If you didn't make any changes, then update to the Latest Firmware using the latest firmware maintenance CD. If this also does not resolve the LED issue, Use the Latest compatible Smart Start CD to run a Complete diagnostics on the server.

If Still no joy, then U can contact the HP Tech Support for more in depth analysis.

;-) Regards,
GeoffHH
Occasional Advisor

I apologise for the vague and non-technical description of the internal health LED! :)

I'll get right on it and report back with my findings.

I will also update firmware as well.

For the record, I believe there have been no hardware changes to this server since its purchase.

Thanks
Sharma Sanjeev
Respected Contributor

Hi GeoffHH

Please check attached
Everything is Possible as " IMPOSSIBLE" word itself says I M POSSIBLE
MT19
Valued Contributor

Do you have Insight Manager installed? You can see what's degraded and the error should be logged in the integrated management log. We've had a number of these incidents lately with DL360 G4's and G5's at our site, and so far they've all been memory related.
regards,
MT
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

@Sanjeev > Smart move on that attachment. But Let me mention, The other post where I attached the same, had an issue with a G1/G2 server. Hence, it holds good.

But here, We are talking about a G5 server. & as you can see the last date when the PDF was modified was year 1997. G5 servers were just a new launch those days. <>; But I would not rely on a 10+ yrs old Document on my G5 servers. Things change. Again, its still good for certain G1/G2 servers.

Just my two cents !

Regards,
Sharma Sanjeev
Respected Contributor

Hi James ~ Happy Dude

I just attached this DOC that may be this can give some help :-)

Regards
Sanjeev
Everything is Possible as " IMPOSSIBLE" word itself says I M POSSIBLE
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Sure Sanjeev; No Harm done, I say.
I just wanted to mention that the Doc is Way too old for a G5. ;-)

Geoff, any updates ?

Regards,