Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360-G5 unable to change boot controller

Stephen Berry
Occasional Advisor

DL360-G5 unable to change boot controller

Hello,

I have a DL360-G5 (dual, dual core Xeon 3.2) which has a P400i RAID controller fitted. I need to boot this server from a CD and had intended to change the boot option to allow this. The IPL boot options list "CD ROM" as first boot device. Going in to the boot device menu lists the embedded IDE controller as controller 2, and the P400i as controller 1. Pressing enter on either of these will not give me an option to change the embedded IDE controller to 1! I have tried resetting the NVRAM through the BIOS, but there is still no way to change the embedded IDE controller as the first boot device.

The CD drive is also not shown under Windows Explorer.

Is there any way to change this? I'm assuming there is as someone installed Win 2003 on this machine a few years ago!

Thanks for your advice!
5 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360-G5 unable to change boot controller

Can't tell if it applies to your server but look within the BIOS setup for a "boot controller order" setting. Refer to the at the BIOS setup guide: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00191707/c00191707.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Stephen Berry
Occasional Advisor

This is my problem - I cannot change the boot controller order in this screen. I can see option 1 (the P400i) and option 2 (onboard IDE). If I press enter on either, a box pops up listing that option only, I can't change to the other.
TTr
Honored Contributor

I may be wrong but it does not look like you are on the right screen for changing the *controller* order. It looks like you are on the boot device selection screen. Look on the above URL guide on page 82.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Also on page 92 using the CLI interface. Your BIOS screens might not be the same depending on the BIOS version.
Stephen Berry
Occasional Advisor

Well, still no luck being able to select the on board IDE /CD drive as the first boot controller, so I gave up and plugged in a USB CD-ROM - works fine now.