Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360 G5 won't boot OS after adding array to P400i

Daniel_McLean
Occasional Visitor

DL360 G5 won't boot OS after adding array to P400i

Hi all,

I have a DL360 G5 using a P400i raid controller. I have 2x 72gb disks mirrored in Bay 5 + 6, this was detected as Array A in ACU, and Windows 2003 is installed on this array and did boot ok.

I then added two more mirrored arrays in the ACU using bays 1+2 and 3+4. Array A with the OS installed using Bays 5+6 is now detected as Array B?

I think this is the reason why it won’t boot because the boot.ini has not been updated so…

Using system recovery and the map arc command I edited the boot.ini to reflect where c:\windows has been detected:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\windows

where as before adding the new arrays it was:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows

and booted ok.

This is strange because it will boot from floppy disk with the boot.ini but even though Windows has exactly the same boot.ini it won't boot?

Apologies if any of the above is unclear, I'll add any requested info. to clarify.

Many thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES
Daniel_McLean
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL360 G5 won't boot OS after adding array to P400i

Why when I create additional arrays in ACU does it rename my Array A to Array B, as this is what seems to be causing my problem? The disk in Windows is then detected as disk 1 rather than disk 0.

Do I need to use scsi in the boot.ini file rather than multi for this to work? Just and idea.

dms_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL360 G5 won't boot OS after adding array to P400i

Hi Daniel,
each disk has its RIS partition, which contains the RAID configuration settings.If the new 4 disk are not brand new the may have RIS partitions, which can confuse the Smart Array controller.You can try something like that:

1. Boot the server without any disks

2. Shut down the server put in disk in slot 5 and 6 (with the original Raid 1 System partition) and start the server.The Smart Array controller will recognize them as system partition and overwrite the RIS.

3. Put in the other 4 disk and create the other 2 Arrays from the ACU online from windows.Click save and restart

Hope this helps...