ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752801 Members
5728 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G6 BIOS Admin password is locked

DwightB

DL360 G6 BIOS Admin password is locked

Background: BIOS Admin password is set and IS known. I am able to gain administrative access to the BIOS. However, when I go to change the Admin password (Server Security > Set Admin Password) I get a prompt that tells me "Password is already set and locked! Press any key to return to menu"

I can't find anywhere to simply "unlock" the Admin password setting so that I can change the BIOS admin password. I know I can reset the BIOS to default via the BIOS menu or unrack the server and flip the proper DIMM switch and 'change' the password that way, but as soon as I put in an Admin password it becomes locked and another BIOS reset to default is required to change the Admin password.Both of those options (especially unracking) seem a bit overkill to simply set the BIOS admin password to something different.

What am I missing? Is this a new 'feature'? Is there a way to change the BIOS Admin password after it is set without having to blow away the BIOS to back to default settings?
6 REPLIES 6
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 G6 BIOS Admin password is locked

Take a look on the service guide on page 69, 70. It could be the one of S1, S2, S5 switch setting. There is no detailed explanation as to what is allowed when those switches are set to disabled or enabled.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01704762/c01704762.pdf
DwightB

Thanks for the link TTr, but I saw that document before. The server is set with the defaults (all in the off position). Other models had a switch that would disable the Admin password, but the only things it looks like I can do is disable the iLo security, disable the power on password, lock the configuration, or reset the configuration.

That still doesn't solve the problem of being able to change the BIOS Admin password without resetting the configuration or doing something significant like opening the server up.

I suppose I can try some of those switches, but I'm guessing they do what they are named/documented to do.
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

The switches S1 and S5 should be in ON position.
DwightB

Thx Viveki. I will give that a shot to see if that works. But, again, that seems like an overkill of a solution for something that, IIRC, was something simple to do in the past.

I'll report back when I've had time to test that out.
william_1333
Occasional Visitor

what is the limit on setting power on passwords? We have several G6 servers that will not accept the password.

LabmanOne

This thread is a bit old, but there is a better solution which I just came across in another thread. Figured I might as well share the answer in this thread since it applies directly.

If you already know the admin password and want to change it, you can enter a trailing / at the end of the admin password when logging into the BIOS. This will clear the existing password allowing it to be reset without having to open up the server.

I beleive the maximum number of characters for this password is 7.