108793 Solutions
New Discussion

DL360 G6 COM Port Problem

jw021979
Occasional Visitor

DL360 G6 COM Port Problem

Hi
Server: DL360 G6 (still in warrenty)

I am having a problem with my DL360 G6 COM port. I have been using the server for a few months. About 1 month ago I installed a modem onto the com port to use with fax software. The modem had been working ok until a few days ago. The server will not see the modem anymore. Windows is not showing any problems with the COM port. I have put the modem on an identicle server (except its running server 2008 R2)and it recognised the modem ok and dialled ok, so I know the modem is ok. I have also tried using a null modem cable on the serial port to my laptop and I can not communicate using that either (tested null modem on different server ok). I have reinstalled the drivers for the com port (using windows own drivers as I cant find any dedicated drivers). This didnt resolve the problem. I have also tried changing the com port number in the bios and disabled the virtual com port and neither worked.
I have spoken to HP and they got me to run diagnostics from the smartstart CD but that just said there were no problems with the COM port. With the HP diagnostics showing no problems HP have said there is no more they could do.
Does anyone have any clue what the problem could be and how to fix it?

1 REPLY 1
Barbeni

Re: DL360 G6 COM Port Problem

I'm having a very similar problem with a DL380 G6 running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard edition. The modem (from US Robotics) installed OK and worked for a while, but after the server was rebooted it disappeared and is now not recognised as being connected. I can manually install the drivers but the server can't communicate with the modem. The serveris up to date with all latest firmware releases and Windows updates. Diagnostics on the server pass every time.

The same modem works fine on both an XP desktop and a DL360G5 running W2K8 R2. In both cases it is recognised as soon it's plugged in & the drivers are installed automatically.

Any ideas please?