1752720 Members
5719 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G6 MS Server 2008, Power resets every two weeks

RobinS_1
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G6 MS Server 2008, Power resets every two weeks

Since June 2010, server power resets (shuts down) about every two weeks. No scheduled tasks that would do this. Windows Update disabled. ASR disabled.

Any clues?
7 REPLIES 7
Ernest Franzen

Any luck resolving this? I also have a DL380 G6 running ESXi 4.0, that has unexpectedly powered off twice in the last week. The only indicator is that the heart beat icon is red. It turns green along with everything else after I press the power button.

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello guys,
it could be serious hw problem, contact HP support.

jan
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

You might check your UPS. the G6 power supplies cannot handle current fluctuations and require high-end (double conversion type or similar) UPS to maintain power during current outages or even fluctuations. There are several threads on the ML3xx G6 series with unexpected shutdowns.
RobinS_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, didn't think about the UPS.

We have a bunch of INTEL Blade servers running off the same type of UPS with no issues, so I simply did not consider the UPS. I'll check it out!
Ernest Franzen

I have two of these plugged into the same power source. Only one of the two is having this issue.
I contacted HP Support and received the generic "Install the latest firmware" answer.
So, I'll try that and wait to see if it crashes again.
RobinS_1
Occasional Advisor

Problem Solved.

DL360 plugged into an APC Back-UPS RS 1300 which is not a server rated UPS and does not have a sine-wave power output profile.

This UPS self tests about every two weeks and when it goes from line to battery, BOOM the server's power supply cannot handle the fluctuation in power and shuts off.

Tested this by hitting the self test button on the UPS to confirm the theory.

Plugged the server into an APC Smart UPS 1500 (which is a server rated UPS and outputs a sine-wave power profile) and now everything is fine.

Since this server did not have redundant power supplies, it was only plugged into the RS 1300 while other servers with redundant power supplies were plugged into different UPSs and did not suffer the same fate.

Thanks to everyone who had input. -Robin S.
RobinS_1
Occasional Advisor

See previous response.