ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753515 Members
5161 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G6 Memory issue and HP support is shocking...

aha_tom

DL360 G6 Memory issue and HP support is shocking...

Just got the new server today. Assembled and tested all working fine. Started installing OS onto it. Left it to run...after 30 mins... come back, the screen went blank, and got red alert in the front panel.Checked the Insight panel, it shows amber on all memory 18 slots. Checked memory module population, all right according to the doco. I then rang HP support around 4pm...

After went through 5 level of voice prompt menus eventually got to this India guy, tried all the troublshoot steps he suggest, no success. He then said "please hold"... after 40mins... still playing music... I have to hung up and rang them again... This time even better! Another inidan guy, without normal greeting, he just ask: "First and last name?". After I gave him the serial number, he replied, this server is with contractor (WTF)я╝Я I asked him what contracotr? He then played old trick again..."Please hold", Then after 5mins, when it was 5pm here, the phone dropped back to the queue!!! And got promopt: Please ring back during business hour!!!!

I have been dealing a lot vendors: Dell, Symantec, Juniper, SONY, IBM... HP so far is the WORST!!!

Dont know how HP manage its CS team globally, but it's totally fxxked up, seriously...
4 REPLIES 4
Jake Mason
Advisor

I know sometimes that if you have too much memory installed for an OS install, you can run into problems. I have seen in some BIOS that there is an option that basically lowers the amount of memory the system has for a OS install. Some older Dell severs have a OS install memory option or something where it knocks it down to 256Mb.

Also you could try taking some of the DIMMs out and troubleshoot that way (assuming you have more than 2) Even if you have 2 DIMMs, try swapping them and see if anything changes. I know sometimes if the first DIMM only is bad, you can run into issues.

If you have 2 CPUs installed, you could try installing OS with just 1 (though I feel this has nothing to do with the CPU, just an after thought)
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

That could be 1 bad DIMM caursing that.
I have seen, wrong/multible failure LED's turned on by the same bad DIMM.
Putting DIMM in slot 1,2 or 4 of 4, turned on LED at slot 2. Putting DIMM in slot 3, turned on LED at slot 1,2 and 4, and creashed server.

So as Jake suggest, try to remove half of the DIMMs, if possible, then test.
Test the other half.

Could also be a bad system I/O bd.

But still it, is HP that should help you fix this problem.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

aha_tom

Received Care Pack Serial number yesterday. Got the motherboard and all memory replaced. The server is up and running now.
aha_tom

Refer to my reply