1752520 Members
5164 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G6 San Boot

Mduffy_1
Advisor

DL360 G6 San Boot

Hello. Been stuck on this during the week, and I am finally seeking help. I have a dl360 g6 and I need to load red hat (5.3) and make it san bootable. I am able to get the red hat to load to the SAN drives (with mpath), but my problem is I cant get the BIOS to look at the SAN drive to boot off of. Has anyone done this, what should I change in the BIOS? Thanks
Mike
13 REPLIES 13
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

In RBSU under boot controller order, you need to specify your SAN HBA as the 1st boot controller. Since your not specifying what SAN HBA your using, you will probably also need to go into the ROM on the HBA and enable boot and specify the LUN
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

check this docu directly from HP :

"Booting HP ProLiant servers from a storage area network"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00580093/c00580093.pdf

"Boot from SAN"

http://www.compaq.com/storage/networking/bootsan.html

mikap
Mduffy_1
Advisor

Thanks for the responses, I just got back into work today, I will try these out and assign points later today.
Mduffy_1
Advisor

The doc's didnt really help because they didnt cover how to get the Dl360 to see the SAN drives to boot off of.
Jimmy I tried what you said, I went to RBSU and changed the boot controller order, and now have it boot off of the SAN HBA 1st, I also went into ROM and enabled boot, but for some reason it still wont boot off of it.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

This DOC explains in more detail what I was saying.

Booting Linux x86 and x86_64 systems from a Storage Area Network with Device Mapper Multipath

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01513866/c01513866.pdf?jumpid=reg%20R1002%20USEN

Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

are you using redundant FC HBAs?

have you tried going into the Fibre Card BIOS and manually specifying the boot path (the massive long uuid listed. It may be that you need to change your boot instructions for the OS.

Can you boot the OS from SAN using a rescue CD?

regards

Matt
Mduffy_1
Advisor

Jimmy in your doc in the ROM based setup utility under system options and embedded NICs it wants me to choose iSCI Boot but I dont have that option, only network or Disabled.

Matt I have redundent FC HBAs do I want to remove the redundency?
I am not sure how to get into the Fibre Card BIOS, I was in the Fast!UTIL and tried to configure the HBA in there.

When I reboot the SAN using the rescue CD I get an error saying there are multiple /boot and it takes me to the sh-3.2# prompt.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Jimmy in your doc in the ROM based setup utility under system options and embedded NICs it wants me to choose iSCI Boot but I dont have that option, only network or Disabled.

No, that's only for if you are trying to boot from iSCSI, the next section discusses fibre HBAs
Mduffy_1
Advisor

Ok I see the section you are talking about, I think its the Emulex HBA ROM configuration, I have rebooted the system a few times, and I dont see a prompt that lets me hit Is there something I have to do to enable that, or do you know how to get to it?

Thanks