ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751976 Members
5027 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G6 and PCI-X Array Controller

Bas van den Hout

DL360 G6 and PCI-X Array Controller

We were planning to replace our current backup-server with a new DL360 G6. Only problem is: we want to use a U320 SCSI tapeloader (HP 1/8 G2 LTO4) and we want to connect an existing Modular Smart Array 20 with 10 big SATA-drives. This also needs to be connected through U320 SCSI to a SmartArray-controller (doesn't work otherwise).

The problem is, that all SmartArray-controllers which do U320 SCSI are PCI-X and a DL360 G6, just like all recent servers, has only PCI Express. I know there is a PCI-X riserkit for the DL360 G6, but I can't find any specs of it. HP-partnumber is 518824-B21.

My questions:
- Can my SmartArray 6402/128MB controller work in a DL360 G6 with this PCI-X riserkit?
- How many cards can I use with this PCI-X riserkit? I will need to connect a tapeloader, and don't think I can connect it to a SmartArray 6402/128MB.
- Can anyone point me to some specs for this PCI-X riserkit. HP has absolutely nothing online, but one tiny picture of the riserkit. Google didn't lead me to more info either.
7 REPLIES 7
TTr
Honored Contributor

There is good info in the DL360 G6 quickspecs
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13235_div/13235_div.html

The riser kit will give you only one pci-x slot. It is not clear if the 6402 will work but they do say in the url that the pci-x riser slot is "for PCI-X card support only"

However the 6402 is not listed as supported in the compatibility matrix
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/c-products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/SA_Compatibility_Marketing_OTT.pdf

I would expect that the 6402 would work in the DL360 G6 with the PCI-X riser slot.

For the tapeloader you should consider the SC11Xe HBA (in the quickspecs)
Bas van den Hout

I found the riser-kit in the QuickSpecs indeed. But it only states, that it exists and "converts one full-length pci express slot to one PCI-X slot". And that sounds like "what I need". But before I order this part, I would like to know if the riser-kit also has a pci express x1 slot (the really small slot) on the other side. Because that is where I should place my SCSI HBA for the tapeloader (have those in stock).

Again, I think (hope?) this is what I need. But I would like to at least know if I could use the riser-kit with 2 expansion cards of which one is PCI-X (SmartArray) and one is PCI Express (normal SCSI HBA).
TTr
Honored Contributor

If you look in the quickspecs, slot1 is always PCIe and slot 2 is either PCIe by default or PCI-X by using the riser kit. Both slots are available and you can use PCIe and PCI-x cards in them at the same time. See "expansion Slots" under the "Standard Features" section

The PCI-X slot (with the riser kit) is 64-bit 133MHz, 3.3Volts.

The SA6402 is also PCI-X, 133MHz and 3.3 volts so physically it will fit and as I said I would expect it to function in the G6 with the correct drivers.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11587_div/11587_div.html
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Just for background - "works" vs "supported" in HPspeak:

Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Bas van den Hout

Thanks for your replies. I am going to order the part and see whether it solves my problem. I will post my findings here. I understand that this is combination is not tested by HP. But if it works, it is good enough. On short term we will probably hook the backup-server to SAN, so we will not need the MSA20 anymore. Would be a shame to put 5K euros in replacing that.
Bas van den Hout

My apologies for responding to this question. I ordered the riser-kit and installed in the server with the SA6402 controller. This works fine. Had no problems with the controller or the MSA20 yet. I am verry happy that a 90 dollar part helped me te solve this, because our reseller advised me to buy a MSA1500 and a HBA for a couple of thousand dollars.

Thank god I sometimes can be stubborn.
Jens Ey
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bas,

you saved my day!

I have exactly the same problem: Backup server too slow, needs to be replaced by a G6 or G7 DL380. Vendors says that SA642/MSA20 will not work with the riser card and wants me to buy a MSA70 instead.

I do now will try the 90$ solution first.

Thanxalot!

Jens