108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G6 - random reboots

Fabio Pajalunga
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G6 - random reboots

Hi Community

We're running a SBS 2008 on a HP DL360 G6 and we got the following issues:

After upgrading our Exchange 2007 (on a SBS2008 SP2) to SP3, we had several unexpected reboots. There are almost no logs written (only log created is a EventID 6008) and there is no regularity, reboots on full load or without any load, "he" don't care at all (1-3 times a week).

System is kept up to date, mainly used for Mail (ofc. DNS/DHCP/AD).

If you need more specific informations, just ask... we run out of ideas to solve this problem...

Greetings from Switzerland

Fabio

//next step - ROM Flash, saw there was one released @ 10th Sep '10
12 REPLIES 12
Ali
HPE Pro

Re: DL360 G6 - random reboots

Hi Fabio,

Did you disable the windows ASR and ASR from System System Bios.

Enable the mini memory dump after disabling the ASR and observe if mini dump are generated or any specific error that is observed on post or in event logs.

this behaviour is observed after exchange 2007 upgrade... is there any installation/upgrade logs that you can access.

Is windows updated with the latest service pack or updates before upgrading the system ?

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Fabio Pajalunga
Occasional Advisor

Windows was up to date before updating the Exchange Service.

Don't know if ASR is disabled (probably not, no minidumps generated), because I began supporting this server a few weeks ago and there is no installation documentation...

Fabio
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Fabio,

ASR increases server availability by restarting the server within a specified time after a system hang or shutdown. At the same time, the HP SIM console notifies you by sending a message to a designated pager number that ASR has restarted the system. You can disable ASR from the HP SIM console or through RBSU. Press F9 during Post to access RBSU >> disable Automatic Server recovery (ASR)

you can enable memory dump and disable windows ASR
right click my computer >> properties >> Advanced >> Startup and recovery >> settings >> uncheck automatically restart and select Small memory Dump.

Also make sure you have latest Proliant support pack installed

Now we can monitor the server for sometime to see whether it generates any error message/ events or memory dump.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

Fabio Pajalunga
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply Aftab :)

Done the minidump setting and waiting for next reboot - will post the minidump here when I get it :)

cu and thanks for answering

Fabio
Fabio Pajalunga
Occasional Advisor

Ok, Server has rebooted once in the past 72 hours - but there is no Minidump generated in the Systemroot folder ...

and the biggest problem, I can't disable the autoreboot function...

How can I solve this problem anyways?

Greez Fabio
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Fabio,

Similar Event ID :6008 issue was observed in windows SBS 2003 and there was a hotfix from microsoft to fix this.
ref.. : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950323

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=6008&eventno=14&source=EventLog&phase=1

this happend after exchange upgrade so could be known issue with microsoft.. if you have contract on Microsoft please contact them.

Please take a look at the steps mentioned in these articles to generate minidump to be further analyzed by microsoft.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649

generating memory dump:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244139/

Also SBS can not be used as a standalone server (like file server, webserver etc.).. it has to be primary domain controller.

hope this helps,

thanks
Aftab
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Fabio Pajalunga
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the Links, will read 'em tomorrow morning.

And about your DS Stuff - yep our SBS 2008 is the only DS in our network :)

Greez and thanks for your fast answer

Fabio
Fabio Pajalunga
Occasional Advisor

Ok, there was a reboot this afternoon - got an exact time, no warnings / crit logs at all as already mentioned.

redundant power supply and in front of DL360, HP USP R1500. No Logs at all on the USP either ... maybe power supply problem?

Greez Fabio
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could set the automatic reboot to show the error.

System
Advanced
Startup and Recovery
Settings
Uncheck automatic restart