Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360 G7 Quad port NIC wont install properly

Adam Vahey
Occasional Visitor

DL360 G7 Quad port NIC wont install properly

Hi All,

We have 2 x new DL360 G7 servers which we have built with smartstart 8.6 (Server 2008 R2 x64).

On one server all 4 network adaptors (HP NC382i) are showing correctly in device manager, but on the other server we only have 2 working adaptors which show "HP NC382i", and 2 adaptors that display as "Broadcom BCM5709c NetXtreme II" but have exclaimation marks in device manager and show "Device Cannot Start (Code 10)".

I have tried to all of the drivers on HPs website and it doesnt seem to make any difference to these 2 adaptors. I also removed all drivers from the NICs but backed up the Broadcom ones that Smartstart loaded (bxvbda.sys). When I reinstalled the HP 1GB NC Series drivers the 2 working adaptors returned, but left 2 "ethernet controllers". None of the drivers from the HP website worked for these and in the end the only drivers that it would accept were the original ones which I backed up. It then returned to the same situation that I started with.

I suspect this is a hardware issue as they are 2 identical servers bought together and built in exactly the same fashion. I do want to exhasut any other possibilities though before I get it returned. Can anybody help? Has anybody else had this issue?

I have attached a screenshot of what is showing in device manager, please let me know if any other information will help.

Thanks
Adam
15 REPLIES
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: DL360 G7 Quad port NIC wont install properly

My quad nic in a DL 380 G5 will only work properly upgraded to firmware 9.2. I have all four ports trunked for 4 Gbps. Be careful upgrading the firmware. I crashed a ML 370 G5 and a DL 380 g5 with 9.2. HP had to replace server boards and HBAs.
Adam Vahey
Occasional Visitor

I tried to upgrade the firmware myself and the upgrade tool told me I already had the lastest firmware, which was the same as the server that works fine.

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Have you tried updating drivers from Broadcom website?

http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.php

Also try updating System BIOS and clear NVRAM and see if this fixes.

In the "System maintenance switch" its S6 you need to turn On = Clear NVRAM.

Good luck
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

Adam,

I've had this issue before on a DL380 G6 where I had to have HP out to replace the system board. I tried upgrading everything. We even had it shipped to our site to have it rebuilt as we thought that the vendor built it wrong.
mmgfera
Occasional Visitor

Adam , i have the some problem,
Mauricio Salas
Frequent Advisor

I fixed this issue the last week, it doesnt matter if you install the latest driver or if you reinstall them again, what you have to do is unistall the Driver, then go to C/windows/drivers and delete the backup and then go to C/Windows/INF and search for the net file with the name of the driver, then install them again, go to device manager and select the failed nic, right click and select Unistall, it will come back by itself inmediatly

How to know the driver name? download the driver from HP, then double click and select extract, save it on a folder and search for the .sys

I did it the last week and it works :)
Note: replacing the NICs doesnt help
Mauricio Salas
Frequent Advisor

Any doubt send me an email to arturo_salas_barboza@msn.com (I know.. its a long email...)
mmgfera
Occasional Visitor

Hi Salas,

I made this Procedures and the two plates NICs returned to work, but the two broadcom cards display the "Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709c"but Have exclaimation marks in device manager and show "Device Can not Start (Code 10)".

What would not get two cards and two cards HP NC382i Dual Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709c

The four boards would not correct the same?

At

Marcio
Mauricio Salas
Frequent Advisor

After I deleted the drivers, reinstalled the drivers, just 1 of the 4 nics came back in that moment, 3 of them was still showing the same error on the device manager, so in that moment I righ click on the NICs with the issue and select Unistall (always on the device manager) and then they came back!

So even if you do it, are you still having the same issue?
Ivanbre
Frequent Advisor

Hi Adam,

Did you solve this? I have the exact same issue on a dl380 g7.
Mindaugas
Advisor

Hi,
I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Thank You.
Jim_Fu
Occasional Visitor

Hi, All,

I have the same problem on DL380 G7. And I found the nic1 and nic2 have the same MAC address and are disabled in RBSU. I tried many ways but still don't know how to make it enabled.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Jim Fu

lizardius
Visitor

I have the same problem: 2 of 4 ports are working but last 2 ports - not... 

Oddian
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

I have the same problem on DL360 G7. And I found the NIC3 and NIC4 are disabled in BIOS ( Just press F9 and press tab to check NIC information )  and no ways to make it enabled.

Uninstall / Reinstall drivers doesn't help.

All you need is call HP to replace the system board.

IrvineIT
Occasional Visitor

I just recently had the same condition show.  I have two DL360 G7s.  Both are virtually identical.  Recently, one of my LAN connections stopped operating.  After a look at the Device Manager, I saw the same conditions as the original poster.  My other G7 was showing the four NC382i as I expected.  I saw and looked into the earlier post regarding manual driver removal.  No luck.

After a complete firmware update (just in case!), I called HP.  The phone tech was telling me that it was unlikely a system board change would be successful and that a reinstall of the OS was likely necessary.  That sounded like killing an ant with a hammer to me so I told him to send the tech with the system board.  Even the tech was wondering why two alternate network drivers were being displayed.

End result:  After a system board swap, all NICs showed properly in the Device Manager and Control Panel.  No driver changes.  No other issues (except to re-address the IP settings).  Thankfully, no OS reinstall either!