108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G7 all 4 HDDs in amber led error at boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
fuzzyduck
Occasional Advisor

DL360 G7 all 4 HDDs in amber led error at boot

My previous topic was deleted. I think because of linking to a movie i made of the boot sequence... Well here goes again, a little shorter.

I had a working dl360 until the motherboard failed. Ordered new one and it booted. Unfortunately during the loading progressbar underneath the Proliant logo all disks lights come on in amber fault mode. solid, non blinking.

Pressing f8 on the p410i firmware gives me 0 logical disks.

I have updated the firmware with the SPP 2017 iso via USB and the p410i firmware version is now higher then the previous broken motherboard, so its not a compatibility thing i guess.

when hot-pulling out a disk it appears the be NOT spinning.

I measured the dual 6pins connector near the PSU's, going to the disks. As mass i used the metal on top of the psu's.
Bottom row of 3(yellow wires if i recall correctly is a 12v and a 5v. The middle one is ZERO 0volt...?
Top row of 3 (black wires i think) measure at 2.8v and a 3v-ish. Shouldnt this be zero? Mass?

I hope someone can enlighten me. Could the board be DOA?

thx in advance

11 REPLIES 11
sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Re: DL360 G7 all 4 HDDs in amber led error at boot

Hi,

Please share POST error/message snap .

also check and post drive status from the SSA (Smart Storage Administrator).

Regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

fuzzyduck
Occasional Advisor

Thx for the response. Atm i just cant even get SSA to boot form a USbthumb. Been trying different versions of SSA and HPE USB util all evening. Been getting either Syslinux boot prompt or a red screen with illegal opcode

Any versions preffered for a dl360 g7?

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Please use HP Smart Start cd, 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_2e6c41afdb8c4c0d9bffce484c&swEnvOid=4064#tab-history

Boot with it then access Array configuration utility under Maintenance .

also

Please login to ILO console and check for any error reported in Integrated Management Log event.

regards,

Sudhir

While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

>Accept or Kudo

fuzzyduck
Occasional Advisor

Hello Sudhir,

Again thank you for the response. Your link booted succesfully and managed to get to get an ADU report from the utility.I hope this pastebin link doesnt delete this reply:

https://pastebin.com/96BtYcvD

Furthermore the utility gave me 2 yellow alerts:
Code 347: No cache is configured (I have a 512mb cache card inserted with battery)
Code 267: No configurable disks attached to the controller (Could it be they were part of the array or the prev. motherboard so they are tagged as non usable? Do they need low level formatting first?)

Furthermore i have no license installed, but i think thats only needed for advanced stuff.

Bios Post doesnt give me errors. The amber disk lights just all come on when the progressbar is filling. (at 20 30% ish).

ILO3 System Information tab gives me a red X with Failed Status for the drives.. Clicking on that gives me: Drivegroup 1 with backplane firmware version 1.16:
Drivebay      ProductID     Drive Status       Drive UID
1                        N/A                 OK                   UID ON
2                        N/A                 fault                UID OFF
3                        N/A                 fault                UID OFF
4                        N/A                 fault                UID OFF

Its weird it sees 1 as ok and 2 3 4 as fault, because all lights are on at the front.

I hope you have some ideas.

Regards

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Now,  We know following:

1. Embedded controller P410i detected but no physical drives seen in it.

2. There is a 512Mb cache module but not configured, since there is no logical drive detected.
But you mentioned about 4 drives seen in the ILO.

Which means drives are present but controller is unable to communicate with them.

I have a feeling that drives are configured earlier in Raid 6 which required license.

Can you please confirm, if yes can 

RAID Support RAID 6, 6+0 (Advanced Data Guarding)
NOTE: RAID 6, 6+0 can be enabled with one of the following combinations:
256 MB cache, Battery kit and Smart Array Advanced Pack License key
option upgrades
512 MB BBWC/FBWC and Smart Array Advanced Pack License key option
upgrades
1G FBWC and Smart Array Advanced Pack License key option upgrades

Refer following link to know about HP Smart Array Advanced Pack (SAAP 2.0)

http://www.ikt-handel.no/pdf/848CDB9D-54ED-4107-9A12-0B0021EC3C9E.pdf

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c03245319

Follow the steps below to add SAAP2.0 license key if you have:

HP ProLiant Servers - HP Smart Array Advanced Pack (SAAP): Installing a License Key with Option ROM Configuration for Arrays (ORCA)

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c02793105

or

To install a License Key in ACU:

1. Open ACU and click the Configuration tab.
    2. Select a controller from the Controller/Device menu.
    3. In the Available Tasks panel, click Manage License Keys.
    4. Click Add License Key.
    5. Enter License Key number.
    6.  Click Save

Reboot and check if logical drive detected.

Enter into ACU utility again and verify whether cache is configured if not, configure is now for the logical drive.

Incase you dont have license key and want to proceed without that then use HP Drive Erase in ACU and then reconfigure different Raid (0/1/5)

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

Regards,

Sudhir

>Accept or Kudo

fuzzyduck
Occasional Advisor

once again, thank you for the extensive reply.

After entering an old trial key which gave me 60days trial i rebooted the server, still no go.
I Rebooted the HP Smart Start iso once again and performed a full settings reset of the server. It included also the disks. Still no go.

Since the disks do not appear to be spinning, could it be a physical thing? Like voltages as in my opening post?

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Was it configured under Raid6 earlier (before systemboard replacement)?

Please POST ADU log after activating SAAP license.

Are you using the same license key used earlier ?

If there is no previous configuration/data, did you tried to erase the drive from ACU ?

Atleast the one good drive should be discovered under P410i.

Thanks,

>Accept or Kudo

fuzzyduck
Occasional Advisor

I have once again booted the iso you provided from thumb and entered the Raid Utility. The same warnings apply. No cache and no disks found. The report

https://pastebin.com/D9zEfMNu
The date in the report appears wrong. I have deleted the zip prior to booting the iso so im sure this report in new.

Te trial key in de utility says:

HP Smart Array Advanced Pack v.1.0
Licence Type: Demo Licence
Install date: 2020-04-18
Exp: 60 days after installation

There was no raid6 prior to swapping motherboard. I believe 2x a raid1.

I have once again erased the disks in the utility, but thats not the solution since the disks arent spinning(?).  The amber lights still come on at boot.

The 1 good disk as said by ILO3 is a weird message? Because prior to change motherboard all 4 were all working fine.

At what stage should the disks start spinning? Because they are not spinning at all.

sudhirsingh
HPE Pro

Hi,

Check/reseat or swap the cable from from HDD backplane to SAS Port on system board .

Check with any other drive if you have.

Regards,

Sudhir

>Accept or Kudo