ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753404 Members
7153 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G7 - disable auto power on after power cut?

20thCB

DL360 G7 - disable auto power on after power cut?

Is there any way to disable auto power on on HP Proliant servers (DL360 etc)? Specifically when power is lost unexpectedly (power cut etc) I don't want the server to power on when power returns.

Unfortunately when I tested the above scenario (by pulling the mains out) the server (DL360 G7)did power on automatically. The BIOS and ILO power settings make no difference. I suspect they are only for situations when the server is shutdown gracefully.

A quick google says that HP designed it this way, as they are meant to be highly available.

My problem is that I need to power servers up in a certain order (domain controllers, databases then app servers) when power returns after a power cut. I can't do that if all the servers start automatically at the same time.

Is there any way to achieve this?
7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey!

Do you have a UPS?

Some of them have this functionality.
20thCB

UPS is supplied by the Data Center, we have no control over it.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Maybe they would help you if you ask/for a fee? =)

But if that don't fall out, would it be possible to write some kind of script that checks the other services/servers? Or maybe a script with a 'sleep' of various amounts before the services start? I have no idea how this would be done in Windows.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

I think many/most Proliant server models have a BIOS configuration setting that is used to configure what the servers do when the power returns. By default, the servers are configured to start up automatically, but you can change that.

MK
MK
20thCB

No...the only BIOS option is "Enable" or "Disable" auto power-on.

Neither choices have the functionality.
LuckyP_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

As far as i am concern about "Auto power on" option in BIOS and ILo,it should work as expected.

if that is not working (after disabling) then you may be pulling the power from the unit, when servers are in running mode.

To work that option as expected, a graceful shutdown must be initiated from OS or from UPS and when power is back and that option is if disabled, unit won't power back.

Some UPS do cause this feature to not work correctly. To test that isolate the server from UPS and connect PSU directly from wall source, Take out the PSU #2 from unit during the test, and then initiate a greaceful shutdown and pull out the power cord and put it back. The unit should not power on.

If at all, unit is powering on, this indicates a hardware issue and you should contact your hardware vendor.
LuckyP_1
Frequent Advisor

Answer to your query regards to delay:

Taken from RBSU user guide:

Power-On Delay (under server availability)

When multiple servers power up after a power loss, the Power-On Delay feature delays the server from powering on for a specified time to prevent power usage spikes.

Wake-on LAN, RTC wake-up, and iLO Virtual Power Button events override the delay and immediately power on the server.

The following Power-On Delay options are available:

├в ┬в No delay (default)

and Random Delay

So i believe you have an option to set the delay period here.