1753344 Members
5127 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360 G7 not showing new drives in slots 5 & 6

Jennifer Nordeng
Occasional Contributor

DL360 G7 not showing new drives in slots 5 & 6

I just added 2 new drives to my 2 DL360G7 servers which are the same build and config.  I am not seeing the system recognize them at all with the SmartStart ACU or even physically, no lights or anything are apparent when the drives are insterted into the system.  They are the same configuration, including same part number and all are 15k.  I feel that I might have missed something, but dont' think I need another controller to use these slots, would someone please give me an idea if there is something else I am missing?

The system is currently configuration o 2x146GB sets of Raid 1+-0.  I just expanded the original array from 2 to 4 drives, but the 2 new drives which would make this 6 in the system aren't visible at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Take a look at the below links:

DL360 G7 QuickSpecs.

DL360 G7 Storage Configuration.

I am not sure if you have 8 HDD backplane or 6 HDD backplane with DVD Drive.

Bay 5, 6 not available when DVD installed.

4 SFF Bays standard with option for up to 8 SFF drive bays total.
NOTE: 4 bays standard in Entry, Base and CTO models, with optional upgrade to 8 bays with the SFF HD Backplane Kit (516966-B21). No CD or DVD options available when server is configured with 8 drive bays.

Thanks

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Jennifer Nordeng
Occasional Contributor

I had in production originally 4 146GB SAS drives and DVD drive which is in slot 7 and 8, but 5 and 6 just had an insert. 

So, you are saying because of having the DVD drive, slots 5 and 6 are only capable of an insert?  Or, do I need another component to use this space?  Thanks.

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

The documentation says that if Optical drive is installed then only drives bay 1-4 works, 5-6 do not work.

You may also refer to this link:

HP ProLiant DL360 G7 Server User Guide
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02065265/c02065265.pdf

Page# 48 = This server supports the installation of a DVD-ROM drive or a DVD-RW drive. When an optical drive is installed, the server does not support the additional hard drive backplane.

Page# 51 = When the hard drive backplane option is installed, the server does not support the DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drive options.

Page# 68 and 69 = Hard drive backplane cabling

Thank You!

For product specific Guided Troubleshooting visit; http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Want to know How to use HP Guided Troubleshooting?  Visit the below link.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03283214

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

kkapadia

I have the same issue. It does not recognize drive 5 & 6. Can I disable the CD drive I have and make it recognize drive 5 and 6?

@Jennifer Nordeng wrote:

I just added 2 new drives to my 2 DL360G7 servers which are the same build and config.  I am not seeing the system recognize them at all with the SmartStart ACU or even physically, no lights or anything are apparent when the drives are insterted into the system.  They are the same configuration, including same part number and all are 15k.  I feel that I might have missed something, but dont' think I need another controller to use these slots, would someone please give me an idea if there is something else I am missing?

The system is currently configuration o 2x146GB sets of Raid 1+-0.  I just expanded the original array from 2 to 4 drives, but the 2 new drives which would make this 6 in the system aren't visible at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.