ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751923 Members
4825 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 G7 pre-POST Problems, accidental short. (Solved, Ish)

GustavKA
Visitor

DL360 G7 pre-POST Problems, accidental short. (Solved, Ish)

Hi all.

So i got this DL360 G7, and after a year of the mind numming drone from the server, I decided to convert it to a tower server and slap in some watercooling.

All went surprisingly well, until i had to extend the SAS backplane power cables, where i accidentaly reversed the wires and shorted something. (I have fixed the cable corectly now btw)

Now the Health LED flashes Red and nothing on the SID, Starting the system powers it up for a second and goes to standby again, and does this no matter the config, except when no cpu's are present., the fans also spin up for a hot second.

I have exhausted the manuals and flow-charts and the only info that has given me, is that theres a System Board Fault.

So i was wondering if theres any Debug tools or a pinout for the SAS Power cable? i suspect i killed a voltage regulator or something, on the SAS Power Cable im getting 2xGND 1x12v 2x3.3v and a 2.8v??? is the 2.8v correct or should it have been 5v maybe?

INFO

DL360 G7 2x X5650 maxed out with 192GB RAM (Motherboard 602512-001) 2x 460W PSU's (505908-001 Controller)

Also, this is a secondhand server i got from a school, and being 18 i don't have the money to spend on a new motherboard, so im willing to fix the board myself, and i do have good experience in THT and SMT Soldering.

Hope you can help me

Best regards - Gustav K. Andersen

SOLUTION

So I ended up finding a good price on a refurbished Board. and then il'll keep the other board for spares i guess.

4 REPLIES 4
ronissac
Trusted Contributor

HI Gustav , 

This will require deep investigation on the Server Hardware. Please log a HPE support ticket so we may take this forward

Regrads

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@GustavKA wrote:

Hi all.

So i got this DL360 G7, and after a year of the mind numming drone from the server, I decided to convert it to a tower server and slap in some watercooling.

All went surprisingly well, until i had to extend the SAS backplane power cables, where i accidentaly reversed the wires and shorted something. (I have fixed the cable corectly now btw)

Now the Health LED flashes Red and nothing on the SID, Starting the system powers it up for a second and goes to standby again, and does this no matter the config, except when no cpu's are present., the fans also spin up for a hot second.

I have exhausted the manuals and flow-charts and the only info that has given me, is that theres a System Board Fault.

So i was wondering if theres any Debug tools or a pinout for the SAS Power cable? i suspect i killed a voltage regulator or something, on the SAS Power Cable im getting 2xGND 1x12v 2x3.3v and a 2.8v??? is the 2.8v correct or should it have been 5v maybe?

INFO

DL360 G7 2x X5650 maxed out with 192GB RAM (Motherboard 602512-001) 2x 460W PSU's (505908-001 Controller)

Also, this is a secondhand server i got from a school, and being 18 i don't have the money to spend on a new motherboard, so im willing to fix the board myself, and i do have good experience in THT and SMT Soldering.

Hope you can help me

Best regards - Gustav K. Andersen

SOLUTION

So I ended up finding a good price on a refurbished Board. and then il'll keep the other board for spares i guess.

Glad you were able to find a refurb board that fit your budget. Happy tinkering

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
GustavKA
Visitor

HPE Support Ticket?

this is a server i got secondhand, so i sadly don't have any support or warrenty.

but thank you for the respond anyways

GustavKA
Visitor

Yeah! I'm glad too, but it's a bit missleading cable (506645-001) the pinout doesn't match in each end, and i thought it was a simple 12v & GND judging by the color, but no, i guess.

but it'll be great to learn and mess with server stuff again!