4625 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G7 unable to boot from internal USB

MashaDanki
Occasional Contributor

DL360 G7 unable to boot from internal USB

Hi All,

I have a DL360 G7, it has 3 internal SSD drives which I have configured with RAID5 within SmartArray. I have a 16GB SanDisk Cruzer fit that I inserted into the internal USB port. BIOS configuration is currently set to default.

I installed ESXi 6.7 on the internal USB port and upon installation of ESXi, i pressed 'SHIFT+O' to change the format to 'formatwithmbr' as I have found out (googling) that HP will not boot if the disk is formatted with GPT.

The installation was successful and server rebooted, however, it will not boot from the internal USB. I have included a frew screenshots of what I see right after first reboot after installation.

Any help is appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: DL360 G7 unable to boot from internal USB

Go into RBSU and see how the Standard Boot Order (IPL) is defined. Make sure USB Drive Key is listed before NIC boot (PXE). Since you plan to boot from USB move USB to the top of the list. If it still doesn't boot, then the installer may be putting the boot loader on a different device.?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
MashaDanki
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL360 G7 unable to boot from internal USB

Jimmy,

I have moved up the USB DriveKey to the first position in IPL but still it refuses to boot from it. I am not sure where else it could put the installer when I specifically selected the internal USB to install the ESXi on.

IMG_3932.jpg