1751887 Members
5307 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

DL360 G7 unable to install Windows 2008 R2 or 2012 R2

CoryIT

DL360 G7 unable to install Windows 2008 R2 or 2012 R2

Hi,

I have an old DL360 G7 and am trying to install either 2008 R2 or 2012R2 for some testing purposes. However, I am having a nightmare trying to get either installed.

I have reset the server and BIOS back to defaults, and cleared the smart array config. I have proceeded to create a 4 disk RAID10 using ACU, and then tried to install 2012 R2 via iLO virtual media. In this scenario, the smart array could not be found, so could not install. If I load the drivers from a USB key, it seems to install the driver, but still cannot find any disks/volumes to install on.

I then decided to try 2008 R2, but the same problem. I did eventually get it to detect the volume, however when creating a new partition, it would not create the system partition that Windows needs and would not proceed with the install.

I then resorted to trying smart start. I booted this from iLO virtual media, and then used a network shared for the 2008 R2 install location. Smart start was able to partition and format the drive, and seemingly install Windows. Upon a reboot however, I then get a BCD error and Windows fails to boot.

If I load recovery environment from the install media, I check disk part and again see there is only a single primary partition with no system partition.

Can anyone assist me in finding out why this is being such a nightmare for something so basic, and how I can get any method of install to work?

Cheers

James