5111 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 Gen 9 HD-MAX Sensor false overheating with TOSHIBA px02smf080

frasmarco
Visitor

DL360 Gen 9 HD-MAX Sensor false overheating with TOSHIBA px02smf080

Hi everybody,

Triyng to upgrade the storage of the server as soon as I plug in the new SSD fans start blowing at full speed, ILO repors HD-MAX Sensor overheating. SMART data from the SSD reports low temperatures and the disk is cold.

All the firmware has been updated to the latest version without luck. Is there any way to disable the sensor?

Marco

7 REPLIES 7
thedrew
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL360 Gen 9 HD-MAX Sensor false overheating with TOSHIBA px02smf080

Similar boat here.

Happens consistently on one of three servers after a period of time (typically within a couple hours) the fan goes haywire, the temp alarm on goes off with the following log entry: "System Overheating (Temperature Sensor 12, Location System, Temperature 127)" followed by "Automatic Operating System Shutdown Initiated Due to Overheat Condition." 

System: HPE Proliant Microserver Gen 10 Plus - iLO5(2.44) - Bios U48 v2.20

Drives: 3x WD RED Pro, 1x Kingston DC-500M

(Note this unit is a homelab unit, one of three, all configured identically, only one exhibits the issue)

frasmarco
Visitor

Hello thedrew,

in my case it happens immediately as soon as I insert the SSD disks.

Marco

thedrew
Occasional Visitor

If you can, maybe try downgrading the iLO firmware to an older version? I've done that to the one machine and I'm waiting to see if that helps.

frasmarco
Visitor

ILO was old when first tried to use the disk, I upgraded triing to solve the problem.

thedrew
Occasional Visitor

Even with messing w/ iLO I found it wouldn't go away. iLO5 v2.41 was less prone (less frequent) then v2.44 but would still crash. I wound up disabling the thermal shutdown in the bios. Found a spot where it'd let me, but with the caveat that was for *all* thermal events.

In the end, it seems the problem may not have in fact been an issue with the mainboard opr iLO at all. I'd spent about 2hrs fighting with one of the drives having intermittent read errors, cause was a small 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter, which once swapped fixed my (seemingly) unrelated drive issue, and in the past 24hrs, have not seen a single thermal event recorded.

frasmarco
Visitor

Nobody from HPE here?

Thanks,

Marco

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

This is not false error.

Make sure server update with the latest bios and firmware.

Share the SA controller and SSD hard disks model detail for further investigation.

You have two servers.

Follow the below customer advisory for "System Overheating (Temperature Sensor 12, Location System, Temperature 127)"

Advisory: ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server - Some Systems Are Unable to Read Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Sensors

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00045960en_us&docLocale=en_US

You can follow the Gen9 server as well because Gen9 also using SAS expander card.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo