6218 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 Hardware RAID

Mihails Nikitins
Super Advisor

DL360 Hardware RAID

Hi,

I have a DL360 running Linux with built-in RAID controller. Initially, I had only one disk, that was configured as RAID-0. Now I want to add one more disk and configure RAID-1.
Question. Is it possible on-the-fly without destroying the data? Controller's Boot ROM allows me to create new logical device of type RAID-0, RAID-1 is not available.

Thanks and points in advance!

BR,
Mihails
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid
5 REPLIES 5
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I dont think you can migrate from RAID 0 to RAID1. Mostly this is not supported on any cards as per my knowledge. You may need a re configuration of your raid configuration

Regards,
Syam
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

If I remember right:
For example, you have Array A with one RAID0 logical drive.
You first need to expand the Array; select the Array A in the ACU and you will have the option to Expand - this allow adding the new "Unassigned" drive to Array A. After it is done (it take sevaral time) you will have unused space under Array A. Now you will have option to migrate (on the logical drive) using the unused space in the array.
Upgrade your SmartArray controller to last firmware BEFORE !
AND HAVE GOOD BACKUP BEFORE STARTING.
(although it must pass just fine)
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure about details in the Linux, from Smart start or O/S directly on the fly, however from windows O/S based normally:
First Expand than Extend always supported from RAID 0 to RAID 1 when Second Drive added.
Mihails Nikitins
Super Advisor

Thank you for the replies. Sorry, I'll come back with points later after verifying your ideas.

BR,
Mihails
KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid