Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360 Original, disk problems

ernie cline
Occasional Advisor

DL360 Original, disk problems

Hello,
I have a few DL360s i'm using for various things, and I'm also hooking them up to our HPSIM 5.0. One machine in particular, I always get alerts saying the drive is in predictive failure, then that its ok a few minutes later. If I look on the SMH, I see that the numbers for it are very wrong, just a tremendous amount of errors on the disk that is obviously not correct. This is for both disks in a mirror.

I am on firmware 1.50 for the controller, latest bios for the P21 systems, and the system is fine otherwise. I have also just done the M&P patch with no affect. Other systems i've seen this on have cleared up after the firmware patch, but not for this one. Any suggestions?
15 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 Original, disk problems

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It part of array. Then check with ADU any error message on the same or not. There was hdd identifier utility also from hp to vefiy the bad hdd lot. So can check with that.

ADU is bet option to check for any messages on the same disk or not.

Prashant S>
Nothing is impossible
ernie cline
Occasional Advisor

ADU seems fine, I get no problems reported. It is also able to read the serial numbers from the disks. When I look on SMH I still see this for serial number:
â º\@

and things like 26677 spinup errors, 16053550412961446000 sectors read, etc. I know that can't be accurate.

Also that second link does not work, I get a 404 error .. ?
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

ernie cline
Occasional Advisor

According to ADU the product ID for both disks is BD018122C9 which there doesn't seem to be a rom update for.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
ernie cline
Occasional Advisor

In that case I'm already at B016 according to ADU utility :(.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Can you upload txt file for ADU ?
ernie cline
Occasional Advisor

ADU attached.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Port 2 SCSI ID 1 that report predictive failure ?
from ADU both drives looks good, at least for me

had you ever replaced power supply ?
or any other parts as ROC (Array module or system board)
ernie cline
Occasional Advisor

I inherited the system, not sure if the power supply has been replaced, but since its a G0 DL360, it probably has, since I think they all failed at some point :).

the SMH reports the disks as 'box s, port 101' so i can't tell which disk is actually the one that thinks its in predictive failure, but as soon as i get that alert, 5 minutes later I get the 'OK' alert so ...
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Errors that you have from ADU looks hardware related
If you have one more server with no problem, try to swap SCSI backplane, after System board; you still can try Power Supply and small power filter at the back
Or reset SCSI backplane for now

I don't think ROC will cause that

PLS reply back after you find problem

It's possibly that Drive from ID 1 has some Spin up problem

Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Ernie,

If the drive is really about the die, you can try and create extra load on the disks. I ususally use the SQL stress test tool from microsoft (just search for SQLIOStress.exe) and it can really hammer your disks. It has managed to kill some of my predictive-failure disks.

Gus

ps: if this forum has been useful please assign points.
Learning never ends
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Also you can try to check with Smart Array Drive Diagnosis utility from HP Insight Diagnostics Online Editionhttp://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpid/
ernie cline
Occasional Advisor

HPDiags report success. Also I don't think the disks are actually dying, I think there is just some kind of software problem, maybe the driver interface to the array controller ... i've had this problem before but updating the firmware and BIOS always corrects it. Is there some way to reset the error count on these disks?

I can't run the SQL server test, this is Linux :).

HPDiags says the array controller is fine ...