New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 PSP - Linux rpm repository

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joshua Baldock
Frequent Advisor

DL360 PSP - Linux rpm repository

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to extract out all the rpms and src rpms that come in the psp for linux servers, so that the modules and drivers can be updated via a yum repository, rather then having to run the hppldu installer?

Just want to make sure if i do this, that im not going to miss out on some configurations or files that aren't included by any of the rpms, but are included in the hppldu installation process?

Any guidance/help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Joshua,

i dont aware that we can extract rpms, but if you want to extract it to do same configuration for other system then why dont you try clone or something similiar..
thanks,

http://www.trickytools.com/php/clonesys.php
Joshua Baldock
Frequent Advisor

Hi avizen9,

The Linux Proliant Support Pack is a tar file that contains a lot of tar'd rpm's and srpm files. The "install.sh" script calls the hppldu binary and proceed to extract and install the rpms, from what i can tell. However because hppldu is a binary, i don't know for sure.

The solution of clone the machine would help us if we were doing an install, but i am wanting to setup a system of being able to upgrade the psp easily on systems using the native linux package management system.
Joshua Baldock
Frequent Advisor

Does anybody else have information relating to my query? Or may even someone who is doing what i have suggested already that could answer my question?
Joseph L. Casale
Regular Advisor

I did it, but there are a few parts that need to be compiled so my local repo wasn't all that useful really.
Joshua Baldock
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your response Ritmo2k.

When you say somethings need to be compiled, are you referring to the source rpms? eg. network driver, etc?

If so, i am able to use these source rpms to build binary rpm packages.

Can you please elaborate on what you did and what didn't work, etc.

Thanks for your assistance.
Joseph L. Casale
Regular Advisor

Well, like the guy above said, most of the tar.gz's have rpm's in them, but some have srpms. I extracted out every rpm and created a local repo, then used yum to install it all.

You can always build the srpm's for the running kernel you have.

You should note that the cciss driver doesnt support the current kernel for rhel for example and its released as binary only. It goes as high as 2.6.18-128 but 2.6.18-128.1.10 is out.

When I looked at this, I considered using mock or something to build out all I needed but I lost interest when I realized some of the rpms were binary only limiting me to older kernels.

HTH
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Joshua, it's possible. All of the RPMs are standard RPMs. The hppldu.bin is the "Linux Deployment Utility." It's a layer above the RPMs that automates the sequence of RPM installation, so that hp-health*.rpm gets installed after hp-OpenIPMI*.rpm and both of them are installed prior to hp-snmp-agents*.rpm, etc. You can work with the individual RPMs if you want to, but you won't get that overall benefit.

Now that RHEL is using the standard Yum method, there is some work afoot to utilize some features that are available with Yum to do this work. Work in progress, and don't consider this an announcement, but stay tuned. Possibly late this year...
Joseph L. Casale
Regular Advisor

David,
I appreciated your comment very much!

How do typical HP customers deal with the slower kernel support PSP always have? I have neglected to use it simply for this reason alone?

Is there any definitive detailed documentation available that explains the deps such as the few you noted and all the nuances with the PSP and its successful operation.

If I could get it working on current kernels and get all the problems I always have ironed out I would love to use it for obvious reasons!

Thanks for taking the time to make that post.
Joshua Baldock
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

Thanks for your response on this matter. Your comment about leveraging yum to do similar work to hppldu, could this be dependencies by any chance?

Im sure hppldu may have a bit more smarts, but from your post it look like its main advantage is knowing the order to install each rpm package?

Do you think this will be achieved by yum in the near future? and possibly hppldu phased out all together?