DL360 PSP - Linux rpm repository

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL360 PSP - Linux rpm repository

Joshua,
Let me address your questions and concerns one at a time.

How do I extract the RPMs? I've attached a short script that will take the psp*.tar.gz file you download off the web, extract it and delete everything except the RPMs. I use this script to get to the raw RPMs. You can then take these RPMs and either create or add them to an existing YUM repository. Starting with PSP 8.20, the necessary requirements were added to each RPM so they will install in the correct order with YUM.

Why aren't the cciss and other drivers available for the latest kernel? By default, the latest cciss driver is built by the distro owner (ie Novell or Red Hat) and made available in the latest kernels as part of their normal kernel update process. Unless you need special support like more than two SmartArray controllers in your server or possibly support for newer SmartArray controllers that may not be supported in the driver in the distro, you can use the latest kernel driver. The driver in the PSP is normally released anywhere from six weeks to three months after the kernels are released and usually only for kernels that are part of an official update or major release. This is because it normally takes six weeks to test a driver on a new kernel and ensure everything works. In addition, we can't provide binary drivers for every possible kernel released because of the release frequency of these kernels. It is normally not required to use these new drivers on an errata kernel with an existing server but you should always check the release notes to be sure.

As David Claypool mentioned, we are in the process of integrating our native Linux RPMs (ie no more tarballs) with our HP Smart Update Manager software that we use to deploy Windows software and Firmware and Linux firmware and hope to have this out later this year. We are also working to add support for YUM and other repositories so we can leverage these repositories for 1-to-many deployment to servers running Linux.

Regards,
Michael Garner
HP HPSUM/PSP Architect
Joshua Baldock
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL360 PSP - Linux rpm repository

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your detail information and assistance.

Look forward to the developments surrounding a more yum focused package deployment solution from HP in the near future.

Thanks,
Josh