108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 Power Supply Failures Information

SOLVED
Go to solution
greg parrish
Occasional Contributor

DL360 Power Supply Failures Information

Does anyone know if there has been a customer advisory released for all the power supply failures or where I can view/search the customer advisories?

I see alot of folks referring to rev 9 or 9b as the fixed version. Is there anything official on the actual rev this is fixed in?

Thanks,
Greg
7 REPLIES 7
Ian Matthews_2
Valued Contributor
Solution

greg parrish
Occasional Contributor

Ian thanks for the information. Can you tell me how to find this from the support site. I cant find it using search or anywhere in the DL360 section. Cant find any root to the Customer Advisories either.

Thanks for the great info!

Greg
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

We have numerous DL360 G2s which have exhibited power supply fan and NIC failures. Are there any advisories on DL360 G2s?
David Medin

When looking at the forum info for answers to the power supply fan failures, Ian's contribution shows up as null but it is still acknowledged. Can anyone tell me where this advisory is located? I have had the last straw placed on the camel's back for this stupid power supply fan failure issue. What is HPaq doing to make this issue right for affected customers (discount replacement parts come to mind)? What do I need to look for on revs of the power supply to make sure I don't get another dud. These machines are the only ones I've ever maintained that had rampant self-shutdown failures like this--quite out of character for HP or Compaq. They certainly aren't professional IT grade stuff.
greg parrish
Occasional Contributor

I had the link but cant find it.

Here is the info I do have though from an email from some great person on the forum!

SERVICE ADVISORY

NO:
EL010629_SW01
REVISION: 1
PRODUCT:
ProLiant DL360

MARKET GEO:
Worldwide
DATE:
April 2002
LAST UPDATED: 17 April 2002

SUBJECT:
Some ProLiant DL360 Servers Exhibit Power Supply Fan Failure and Display or Log Error Messages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION
The power supply fan may fail on certain Compaq ProLiant DL360 Servers identified in the "Products Affected" section. When a power supply fan failure occurs, the server shuts down in either of two ways, depending on whether or not the server health drivers are loaded.

Servers With Health Drivers Loaded

If this issue occurs on a ProLiant DL360 server with health drivers loaded, the operating system shuts down and the server powers off. One of the following error messages may be displayed or logged:

The following error message may be displayed:
POST Error 1611: Power Supply fan failure detected. Critical fan failure detected - System shutting down in 5 seconds.

The following error message may be written to the Integrated Management Log:
An environmental abnormality occurred requiring system to shut down.

The following error message may be written to the Compaq Event Viewer Log:
Automatic Operation System Shutdown initiated due to fan failure.
System fan failure {Fan 2, Location power supply}.
1611 Power supply fan failure detected.

The following error message may be written to the Microsoft Event Viewer Log:
Compaq system information Agent: Compaq Health: The fault tolerant Fan Sub-system is in a failed state. Replace the fan. Chassis 0, Fan2.
The Compaq System Management driver initiated an Environment Abnormality Auto Shutdown {EAAS} due to thermal reasons, either resulting from the system overheating or the loss of cooling.
The Compaq System Management driver has detected that a required system fan #2 has failed Environmental Abnormality Shutdown initiated.

Servers Without Health Drivers Loaded

If this issue occurs on a ProLiant DL360 server that does not have health drivers loaded, the server does not display any error message before it powers off. This process does not allow the server and operating system time to shut down. If the server is powered on, the server displays the following error message, then powers off again:

POST Error 1611: Power Supply fan failure detected. Critical fan failure detected - System shutting down in 5 seconds.

PRODUCTS AFFECTED
This issue can affect any ProLiant DL360 server having the following Compaq Serial Number ranges:

xx05xxxxxxxx through xx09xxxxxxxx
xxOAxxxxxxxx through xxOCxxxxxxxx
xx11xxxxxxxx through xx19xxxxxxxx
xx1Axxxxxxxx through xx1Cxxxxxxxx
The following ProLiant DL360 servers are NOT affected by this issue:

ProLiant DL360 servers having a power supply labeled "REV: 09" (or higher)
ProLiant DL360 servers having a power supply labeled "REV: 09 xx" (where "xx" represents an alphanumeric value)
ProLiant DL360 servers having Compaq Serial Number xx21xxxxxxxx (or higher)
Compaq ProLiant DL360 G2 servers

RESOLUTION/SOLUTION
IMPORTANT: To prevent unexpected shutdowns, Compaq recommends loading the appropriate Compaq operating system health drivers on all Compaq servers.

This issue is resolved by replacing the power supply on any ProLiant DL360 server listed in the "Products Affected" section that has failed as described in the "Description" section. The replacement power supply carries Compaq Spare Part Number 173828-001. The power supply is a level-two end-user-replaceable part (EURP). EURP level two indicates the user should have some degree of technical ability and mechanical skills as well as the ability to use tools and follow detailed oral and written instructions.

NOTE: All currently shipping spare power supplies are labeled "REV: 09" (or higher) or "REV: 09 xx" and, therefore, are not affected by this issue.

For detailed information about replacing the power supply, consult Chapter 2 of the maintenance and service guide, "Removal and Replacement Procedures."

The maintenance and service guide is available from the Compaq website:

www.compaq.com/support (click Servers from the Product Category menu, then click ProLiant from the Product Family menu, then click ProLiant DL360 from the Product Series menu, then click ProLiant DL360 Server Maintenance and Service Guide from the Most Recent Other Documents list)
SERVICE ACTION
NOTE: This is a fix-on-failure event. Proactive replacement of the power supply is neither necessary nor authorized.

If the customer is capable of and comfortable with replacing the failed power supply on an affected ProLiant DL360 server, based on the level-two EURP description, a Compaq Authorized Service Provider (ASP) should order the replacement power supply (Spare Part Number 173828-001) and have it shipped directly to the customer. Advise the customer to follow the replacement instructions in the product maintenance and service guide.

If an end-user is not capable of or not comfortable with replacing the failed power supply on an affected ProLiant DL360 server, an ASP should order the spare part and replace the power supply by following the replacement instructions in Chapter 2 of the product maintenance and service guide.

The maintenance and service guide is available from the Compaq website:

www.compaq.com/support (click Servers from the Product Category menu, then click ProLiant from the Product Family menu, then click ProLiant DL360 from the Product Series menu, then click ProLiant DL360 Server Maintenance and Service Guide from the Most Recent Other Documents list)

Greg

David Medin

Thank you! This will allow me to take some action, although it appears it will be at the grossly inflated cost of the Compaq replacement supply. I'm also examining getting a quantity of the fan that fails and offering them through e-bay or some other similar forum, as replacement of a failed fan is actually quite simple. I was surprised how many people there are cursed by high failure rates of the same type as mine. Spending $300+ on a $50 OEM power supply that was woefully inadequate to begin with is not my idea of customer orientation, but so far I've not been able to get anyone's attention at HP.
Bill Mentzer

Yeah - I don't know what HP thinks it's doing. Compaq would at least send you out a new power supply, warranty or not, because it's a crappy power supply - period.

We bought a slew of these machines and have been paying the price ever since. HP should really buck up & represent their products.