1752466 Members
5905 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 Power Usage

paulbuckle
Occasional Contributor

DL360 Power Usage

I have 5 DL360 boxes located in a rack, and it appears they are using 5 amps of power? Is this normal, as it seems pretty high?

They are only using a single PSU and have Dual 3.6Ghz Xeon's, 4Gb RAM and 2 146Gb Disks.
4 REPLIES 4
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Paul,

Try this out:
http://h30099.www3.hp.com/configurator/powercalcs.asp

It allows you to select your config and it will show you the power requirements.

Chris
Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
paulbuckle
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris, I had seen this and wasn't sure exactly what it meant. I kind of figured that each of my boxes was using .9 amps.

Problem I have is a rent 10U in a cabinet which includes 4 amps, and I'm already over that and its only half-full. Is this a common problem? and is there a way to reduce the power consumption?

Thanks
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Paul,

I must mention, I really am not great when it comes to power. If you really want to know about power usage, I'd suggest getting an electrician to come in and make a few recommendations. To me, 5 amps does seem a bit high considering the servers only have 1 PSU, but my best idea of power consumption are those charts.

I'm sure there is ways to reduce consumption but not in huge leaps.

Chris

Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
Attila Szab├│
Frequent Advisor

Dear Paul,

As Chris told before, the online calculator show you the power usage of the server. Sorry, but the secondary power supply is just for redundancy. It makes load balancing while its present, but only one power supply needs to give enought power for a fully populated server. The Dual processor server can be use up to almost 2 amps, so its better to calculate with this, other way the PDU will switch of, and you will loose all your servers on the same power circuit.
Anyway, by the server specifications,it use 5.85 Amps (100 V) to 2.85 Amps (200 V) (i think they want to say 230V instead of 200V, but doesnt matter).

Greets,
Attila