Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360 Raid 1+0 Mirror problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

DL360 Raid 1+0 Mirror problems

I have DL360 G2 and G4 servers with Raid 1+0 (two drives), Windows 2003 sp1 installed. HP SIM indicated one of HDD failed. I placed a service call to HP and replaced with new drive and now server/acu will not mirror the drive. Also, HP replaced same drive second time just incase DOA. Next HP replaces the backplane, still same problem. Next day HP replaced the system board, still same problem drive will not minor.

DL360 G2- has PSP 7.30, array 5i controller has v2.62 firmware. Systems ROM date 2004.05.01 (p26). Windows 2003 sp1.

DL360 G4- has PSP 7.60, array 6i controller has v2.68 firmware. Systems ROM date 2006.02.14. Windows 2000 sp4.

14 REPLIES
Neysters, Lutz
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL360 Raid 1+0 Mirror problems

misspelling?!
"still same problem drive will not mi***n***or."

- which of the two servers had the drive problem?
- some older PSP had the following problem: After using Insight Diagnostics the rebuild of a RAID wouldn't start until you opened the Array Configuration Utility (ACU) once. The problem is solved in the latest PSPs.
- As far as I understand, it is the array controller's function to build a RAID. Replacing backplane or system board seems weird to me.

Did you try the "ProLiant Forum", too?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Mahesh,

Once you get into the ACU... what do you see as the Controller settings?

What is the Array settings ?

Regards,
James.
JamesDean
Advisor

Is there a BBWC for the controller ?
Thanks, Cheers, Welcome & Regards.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

The problem can be that the firmware of the new HDD is old and can't communicate with the firmware of the controller.
What you can do is plug the HDD and update the firmware of all components with Firmware maintenance CD 7.9.(it is important that the HDD is in, so the HDD firmware is flashed too). After the update the rebuild must start automatically or if not reseat the HDD.

Make backup of the data!
Is the new HDD the same modell like the old ones?
Normally if the rebuild starts but stops after some time, can be that the source HDD has bad blocks, which is not case, or?

Do you plug the HDD in the same IDD where it was?

Check in ADU if the logical drive is in "Interim recovery mode". If the drive is listed in Status : Not ready or RIS copies don't match can mean that the HDD is not in the same slot like the faild one.

I don't think PSP has something to do with the rebuild...

Please keep us informed of the issue.

Regards,
Pac
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

Sujith;
Array controller setting is set at (Raid 1+0) two Mirror drives. In the ACU controller it shows as Rebuilding. Rebuild process will not start. In HP SIM, there is no change in the status bar, after many hours.

Pac
HP replaced HDD same model, size and rpm, also inserted in the same slot where drive was failed.
Rebuild process will not start and Server will not boot.
Next HP replaces the backplane and tried to reboot the server, the server will not reboot.
Then HP replaces the system board and tried to reboot server, but the server will not reboot.

I tried to update HDD firmware with v7.90 firmware CD, but it shows no firmware updates required for HDD or ACU controller. ACU does not show any Interim recovery status for replacement of failed HDD.

As you know server has two mirror drives labeled as zero and one. Server OS always wants to boot from drive zero which was failed initially and that drive never rebuilt successfully.

Finally, I received brand new two drives from HP, configured same Raid 1+0 and size, install OS, install NetBackup client and keep the server into workgroup with same server name.

Restored win2k3 OS on top of exciting with override option, including System State backup, reboot the server.

Next join the server in the AD domain, reboot the server, check the event log, no errors, all application stated successfully, next restore all customers data. Check the restore log.

I have another three DL360 servers G4 servers are behaving just like this one HDD failed and it will not rebuild failed HDD after it has been replaced. I am not rebooting this until I find some solution, since I donâ t want to go they rebuild and restore process again.

Thank you everyone for their input, I really appreciate help.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Mahesh Shah

at the beginning I dont know what you had on ADU report

I had a similar issue the HDD was replace twice the HDD was inserted and the rebuild process did not start and every time I saw ADU showed bad RIS tables... even the HDD was replace another time

so I determined that the fisrt HDD due a very old Firmware on the controller and HDD corrupted the RIS tables(where HDD kept the information about RAID using this information the HDD determine that the RAID Level is not fault tolerance and comunicates this to the controller and the controller initiates the rebuld process) so no matter if I used 10 new HDDs the RIS tables was bad so when the controller tried to rebuild the HDD it found the RIS tables was bad...

long history
so backup the data in the good HDD and rebuild the machine that's the only way to eliminate the erros on RIS tables, no matter latest firmware because tehb latest firware does not fix that, the idea is before any activity with HDDs like replace, expand/extend, new create new RAIDs is to have the latest firmware before do those activities

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

I do not have ADU report for the server which I have to rebuilt and restore finally server is up and operational. But I have another server acting just like this one, I ran the ADU report on the DL360 G4 server, attached you will find ADU report.

<<>>

I found from HP site the DL360 troubleshooting guide but I am not sure how to analyze the ADU and RIS tables. How can you eliminate the errors on RIS table? Or correct the RIS table so I do not have to go thru rebuilds and restore process. Can HP help?

dms_1
Trusted Contributor

The ADU report you attached shows a lot of errors on SCSI Port 1, Drive ID 0
The drive is in Timeout condition
If you call HP and send them this ADU report they will replace the drive

ErrorText SCSI Port 1 Drive ID 0 has exceeded the following threshold(s)
ErrorText Pred failure errors
ErrorText SOLUTION: Please replace this drive when conditions permit.
ErrorText SCSI Port 1, Drive ID 0 ... S.M.A.R.T. predictive failure errors have been
ErrorText detected in the factory Monitor and Performance data. SOLUTION: Please
ErrorText replace this drive when conditions permit.

To overwrite RIS table you will have to re-create the array in ACU and save it

Regards
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

I placed call to HP, swap out the failed HDD twice. Since HDD not being rebuild the information in ADU report did not updated, yet, and does not have new HDD s/n.

If you have to break the ACU and then re-create, basically you lost all the data on those mirror drives.

Is there any way to overwrite/update the RIS table without breaking the ACU? and rebuild the failed mirror HDD without any restore.

Thanks.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

"Is there any way to overwrite/update the RIS table without breaking the ACU? and rebuild the failed mirror HDD without any restore. "

no there is no way when the RIS tables are corrupted the only way to fix it is backup the data fron the good HDD and rebuld the RAID level again

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Mahesh,
if possible post the ADU report, we may be able to check whats wrong.

;)
James.
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

James,

Attached you will find the ADU report.

Thank you for the follow-up.

Mahesh
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Mahesh,
Sorry for the delay;

1) You need to update the PSP to 7.9
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27534.html

2) SCSI Port 1 Drive ID 0 has failed;
replace it.

3) Your Smart array controller 6i is running on an old firmware;

I will suggest, after you replace the drive, & the rebuild is complete, download firmware maintenance cd 7.9 from:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27783.html
& boot from it;

Regards,
James.
Mahesh Shah_3
Frequent Advisor

I really appreciate your help, but unfortunately when I replaced failed HDD on the DL360 G4 server it BSOD and could not able to bring server online for any PSP or Firmware updates, looks like RIS table is corrupted.

Basically, I was able to clone the server from similar server, using one of the mirror drives, remove network cable, changing server name, IP address, join the domain and then bring online.

In the future, I will try to update the PSP first, then replace the drive and last Firmware updates.

Thanks.
Mahesh