1753270 Members
5198 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 Ultra3

Marcus_17

DL360 Ultra3

What's the "trick" to getting Ultra3 drives to work in DL360s?

Have just replaced my Ultra2s and now I can't get the machine to get thru SmartStart without giving me "Array recovery needed" after the first reboot.
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Marcus,
Are you starting from Scratch all together?? If you are then you have to run system erase first and then go through the assisted method of installation. If you need further assistance please feel free to contact our Tech Support at 1-800-652-6672.

Regards,
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

It doesn't matter on the DL360G1 what kind of drives you're using, as long they are at least Ultra2. If you are still using the onboard Integrated Array controller, there is also no use to have Ultra3 capable disks, since this controller only goes up to Ultra2.

The problem that you're facing is that you pulled out the old drives and immediately put in new ones whithout 'telling' the Array controller about this action. A System Erase (from floppy or Smartstart CD) is the easiest way to resolve this issue or you can press F8 during boot to delete the logical drives and create new ones.

A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Marcus_17

I did use system erase with smartstart. Then went thru the whole process of doing an assisted install, creating a new array and so on. On first reboot, it says that "array recovery needed".

We understand the limitation of it only running at ultra2 speeds. However, it was decided that we standardize on drive sizes and ultra3 regardless of the limitation.

I emailed tech support, and they mentioned that if my power supply was not at least a "rev 9" that it could be the problem. Any validity to this claim?
Marcus_17

Just for anyone wanting to know. The DL360 G1 MUST have at least REV 09 power supply to properly power Ultra3 drives. Replaced it and everything works fine.