1753582 Members
6228 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 & SmartStart 7.10 - Partition problem

Cathy Bateman
Occasional Contributor

DL360 & SmartStart 7.10 - Partition problem

I recently used SmartStart 7.10 on a DL360 to do a W2K3 installation. While in SmartStart, I chose the option for a custom partition size and I typed in 8192. During the installation, the server hung after the point when the W2K3 CD is ejected. I had to power the server off and back on. Once I did that, the install continued "normally". After completing the install of the OS and running Disk Management, I found the partition size on the C drive was 12GB. Wanting a very clean install, I figured something must have gone wrong - and I didn't like that the install hung - so I started over.

On reinstalltion, I made the same choices, the system hung in the same place again, and when I went to Disk Management, I found another 12GB partition instead of the 8GB I thought I created.

I have used the SmartStart 7.10 successfully on many DL360s and never encountered this before.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments will be appreciated. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

How much Memory is installed in this server?

Is the amount different (higher than) the other 360's you have setup successfully?

Is this a new 360g4? If so, have the successful setups also g4's? or g3? g2?

Sounds kinda weird, but it happened twice so the server must not like 8GB for the system drive. As such, theremust be a reason as well.

Have you tried using a 10GB system drive? or 12GB? just to see if it hang's at the same space?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Cathy Bateman
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response.

The server has 2GB RAM and it is a G3. Our standard is an 8GB partition, and we have done this successfully over and over. This is the first time I have had a problem.

I needed the server for some testing, so I finally pulled the drives, which were 36GBs, and put in a couple of 72GBs and it partitioned an 8GB size just fine.