cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360 and DL760 both power on at 20:00 EST

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

DL360 and DL760 both power on at 20:00 EST

I have several servers I am work on for customers. One is a DL360 G1, dual 1.2GHz, the other a DL760 G1, 8 x 700Mhz machine. For over a year these machine sat idle until I would turn them on while tinkering then I'd init 0 them in Linux to shut them off. Back in January the DL360 started powering itself up, back then it was at 19:00. Recently the DL760 started powering itself up also, this was after we switched to daylight savings time. Both the DL360 and DL760 power up exactly at 20:00 (remember 1 hour difference for time change). I have looked at the BIOS and disabled ASR. I looked at the RIBLOE but can't find anything to cause these machines to power themselves up.

It could be worse, they could be powering down. Any suggestions as to why these machines now appear possessed?
3 REPLIES
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 and DL760 both power on at 20:00 EST

Hi,

this can be caused by several things.
Bug in teh firmware is not likely, since this happens on 2 different servers.

There schould ne and "Automatic power on" in the BIOS. When enabled, the server powers up when there is power(with F10, not sure here, only in RBSU).
If you find this you can disable it and I think the server will stop powering up.

Are other servers powered by the same power source? Seems like a environment/data center issue. You can try to connect the server to other source and check if they power up again.

UPS attached?

Regards,
Pac
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

Both machines are attached to UPSes (2 different ones). I disconnected the DL360 an hour ago to package it for installation tomorrow. Once it's installed it will be on all the time so it's not an issue. It's just strange that the both systems where here and the problem on the DL360 started in January and the DL760 in the last week or so. Nothing changed on how they were wired to power though I did install an Intel Pro 1000 gigabit Ethernet interface in the DL760 around the time the problem started now that I think of it. I have to look at what interface cards are in the DL360. It would strange if the DL360 also has an Intel Pro1000 card.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

3rd party hardware can cause a reboot or malfunction, but power up & at a specific time...doubt it.

P.S. There was an issue with a Prol. 100series server, there a system rom caused auto power on at 12:00, which was fixed in next release

Regards