1751716 Members
5627 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 drive failure

Todd Crouse

DL360 drive failure

I just got in two older DL360 G1 boxes we used in another state. One of them I noted a failed drive after running it a few days. I decided to wipe both boxes clean with a new Win2000 OS install. This was done and everything was fine... for about a day or two. Both boxes are having drive failures. The box finally ended up blue screening with both drives down. Being that it was up and working fine for a day or two, I don't think it's the OS or drivers. If I restart the box, it comes up fine... then goes down again after a short period of time. All power supplies were upgraded a year ago. Anyone have an idea what is going on? Warrantee just ran out 2 months ago, so if anyone has had this happen before, please point me in the correct direction. All of our other boxes are DL380s, so I have limited knowledge on these 1U boxes. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360 drive failure

Do you have any spare drives to rule out the Smart Array Controller?

How old are the drives? It might be worth it to replace them if you can determine there is nothing else wrong with the hardware (besides the HDD's).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Todd Crouse

The drives are as old as the boxes, so about 2 years. The odd thing is that on both boxes, I got data integrity errors on one drive each... the second one went thereafter on one of the boxes. I took the box apart this AM to make sure everything was seated correctly due to them being shipped out here, but there is nothing in this model that could become unseated. It's hard to swallow that three out of 4 drives went bad at the same time, but I guess it's possible. I have no spares at the moment due to these being QA boxes...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It's not unusual to loose a bunch of disks that have been bought in one batch and were manufactured on a monday morning...
Terry Auspitz
Frequent Advisor

This sentence jumped out at me: "I just got in two older DL360 G1 boxes we used in another state."

One of two things happened here.

The servers were jarred sufficiently in shipping that the array controllers are not fully seated. Try removing and reseating them.

-and/or-

The drive were sufficiently jarred that they have failed. Try replacing the drives.