3796 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 failure on hardware discovery in smart start

Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

DL360 failure on hardware discovery in smart start

Hello all,

I have a DL360 G1 that I am unable to build. It recently had some issue that required a new MB to be fitted (we also put in a new main fan at this time).

In the smart start (manual option chosen) process you can run the extended bios configuration. Create the array configuration and save it and then on reboot the smart start process starts again:

performing hardware discovery

At this point normally the dicovery does not take very long at all. But it hangs and does not complete (even after 20 minutes).

The machine has no boards in the PCI riser.

Has anyone got any advice?
why?
7 REPLIES 7
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Paul,
Sometimes even though the system board has been replaced it does not have the latest bios. Please make sure that the BIOS is the latest one. Also could you tell me as to which version of Smart Start CD are you using?? Have you tried to use a different Smart Start CD?? Also please make sure that all the components are si\tting properly.

Regards,
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

The Bios revision is the latest one I could find - 15/11/2002. The firmware on the ROC is 1.50B (also the latest I could find).

I will check to see if everything is seated correctly, but normally I imagine I would see post errors id this was the case. Or it would not power up at all such as when the riser is not seated correctly.

The CD has built 3 other machines on the day, but I could swap that easily enoguh.
why?
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Oh, and I am using smart start 5.50
why?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Paul,
How much RAM do you have?? If it is more then 1GB then bring it down below 1GB and after you finish rebuilding the server bump it back up. Please let me know the results. If all else fails then the only thing I can think of is defective System BD.

Regards,
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sunil,

It was being built with only 1 128meg DIMM in the machine. So I guess it is a DOA mainboard.
why?
Paul Slater_4
Advisor

Where is it hanging? After the array configuration utility? or before.

Verify it's only compaq memory.
Remove the ROC chip if using 431 array.
Inter-change array with working one if you have it.
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

It has hanging on the hardware discovery, which occurs after the array has been configured.

It is using Compaq ram and an integrated smart array with firmware 1.50B.

Not sure what you been by swap array?

Thanks
why?