Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360 g4 (p52) IRQ Confusion

Wayne Hoyle_1
Occasional Visitor

DL360 g4 (p52) IRQ Confusion

Hi,
I am trying to configure the Smart Array6i IRQ setting to a different IRQ to the On board NICs.

So Far HP in Europe has rubbished the idea, and say "we Do NOT support Norton Ghost"

I have 60 DL360 g4 Servers to build up, and due to the amount of desktop pcs we use, and other makes and models of servers, we standardised on using Norton Ghost for our Rapid deployment, which has worked on everything we have thrown at it so far! Except the DL360 G4.
I have narrowed this down to IRQ conflicts between the NICs and Smart Array 6i (Because they are on the "SAME PCI BUS".

When I logged the fault, I was assured that I was the ONLY person in the UK who has this fault - Which I find very very hard to believe!
All I need is a firmware which allow the IRQs to be made independant of each device - Can anyone help - HP Europe are frustrating me!!
And DELL are now looking at being the best solution to fit into our rapid deployment platform.
4 REPLIES
Wayne Hoyle_1
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL360 g4 (p52) IRQ Confusion

Forgot to mention.
The BIOS is P52.
I have updated the firmware with the LATEST MAY '05 patch.
Once Norton Ghost Starts (from a PXE boot)
It locks, with the egg timer (while it is looking for HDD and LAN.
Once the egg timer goes, and the program starts, I select Ghost Cast, and type in my session name e.g. "test"
This uses the network card to find the GhostCast Server, Finds the "test" session and Throws up the Erroe "Invalid Source".
If I enter the bios and disable the IRQ for the Array Controller, Ghost starts up imediatley, and Obviously (because it is disabled) I get the "Invalid Source" message.

HP Europe has said "Use HP Rapid Deployment which works" but this is rubbish - how can I purchase another product, when the comoany I work for already has a strategy in place for rapid deployment of ALL MAKES and MODELS of PCs / SERVERS etc. which ISN'T HP Rapid Deployment - some companies use mixed infrastructure, with DELL or INTEL servers as well as HP.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Wayne,

I'm pretty sure this is the same IRQ limitation problem seen when trying PXE with RIS. The answer is to update the Smart Array 6i firmware to version 2.36A.

Try the following online or offline Flash Updates and let me know if this resolves it.

Online Flash Update (If you already have an O/S installed W2K/W2K3)
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22335.html

Offline Flash Update (Needs FW Maintenance CD)
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22339.html

Download link for the Firmware Maintenance CD ISO image Version 7.30 if required (Free)

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/smartstart/ss-agreement.html

Boot the FW Maintenance CD and it will do a hardware check. Use the CUSTOM method to only update the FW on the 6i controller.
I'm not sure what version of firmware is on the 7.30 CD (It might already be 2.36A) but you can build a floppy disk with the Offline Flash Update link above and add it to the existing CD FW by using the Supplemental update procedure. It takes it off the floppy and uses this later version to flash the 6i.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Wayne Hoyle_1
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Brian,
I will try this in the morning, when I am in front of the Servers.

Will Post the results.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Wayne,

Any update yet?

I'm just curious to see if this was the fix.

Thanks,

Brian